Roadmaster The full size rear-wheel drive Buick of the past, the longest non limo Buicks

1992 Roadmaster Fuel Sending Unit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 12:28 AM

Thank you both for your input, it has been extremely helpful.
We dropped the tank again and took the sending unit out and tested everything, we were encountering resistances, turns out all the connection pins were corroded. We cleaned up with sandpaper, q tips, lemon juice, and carb cleaner (maybe overkill?). Tested it and it worked (float still doesn't work afaik). So now the pump runs when it should.
Still the car will not start unless you put some gasoline in the intake. I had someone sit in the car and crank it a couple of times with the air cleaner off, I did see some fuel spraying out the jets when it cranked, I can't tell whether it was enough or not. Fuel lines/filter? I am sending the car off to a shop next week since I'm running out of room here, my brother is bringing another car in.
Before cranking I did not remove each spark plug and spray oil in the cylinders, any chance I did any damage with the car having sat for so long? When it ran I didn't hear anything nasty, though it wasn't running at it's best (sounded like a couple vacuum leaks or something). I've read rust and corrosion can build up on the wall of the cylinder, and when the piston reciprocates the rings can be damaged by rubbing up against crap. Or cranking it without lubricating the cylinders could cause damage. Guess only time will tell, seller claims he started it a couple of years ago, and the engine was rebuilt before sitting (he has no reason to lie about it). I'm always paranoid about something!
Thanks both of you. Will keep you updated.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:46 PM

Any updates?