New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

97 Buick Lesabre cutting off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Tia
Question 97 Buick Lesabre cutting off while driving

For last 3 weeks, when I try to start my 97 Lesabre, it sometimes (not every time) would sputter, then try to cut off (but doesn't). I pump the accelerator a couple of times, the engines revs on its own, then it seems fine. Sometimes, not every time, when I turn the wheel sharply to the left or right, it does shut off. My husband insisted it was b/c the carburetor was gummed up so we got Carb cleaner & put it in. Didn't work...same issues. Today it tried to die when I started it, then was fine. A minute down the road, it felt like I was getting no power to the engine no matter how many times I pumped the gas. Thought maybe ia was out of gas (gas guage hasn't worked since we bought it!). Put gas in...same issues. Just replaced a fuel pump in January. It has a 3800 engine. Pls help...

Old 04-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum! Your car has fuel injection.. it has 6 fuel injectors (one for each cylinder) instead a of carburetor. It is possible that they are dirty/getting bad. The fuel filter might also be plugged.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Tia
Default Reply to 2k2cse

Oh I forgot, we replaced the fuel filter right b4 we replaced the fuel pump. Surely it's not clogged up already.... My husband also thinks maybe it could be either the O2 sensor or the ignition switch. How difficult is it to check for either of those & would it have to be up on a lift or can you do that just by getting underneath it? You see my car is kinda stuck at my apartment right now. I cant drive it anywhere b/c of the fact that it doesnt seem to be getting any power to the engine.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM

Some addl info would be nice.
How many miles does the vehicle have on the odometer?
When was the last time the plugs & wires were changed?
Has it been losing coolant?
Something is puzzling me . If they had the fuel pump out to replace it why didn't they fix the fuel gauge problem , the sending unit for the gauge is part of the fuel pump module. There is a good possibility a problem exists in the wiring to the fuel pump and gauge. A wiring connection problem could prevent the fuel pump and gauge from working properly. One of the simple things to check and cause a multitude of problems is a blown fuse or a fuse with a poor connection. Would pay to check them.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Tia
Default Reply to hanky

Originally Posted by hanky
Some addl info would be nice.
How many miles does the vehicle have on the odometer?
When was the last time the plugs & wires were changed?
Has it been losing coolant?
Something is puzzling me . If they had the fuel pump out to replace it why didn't they fix the fuel gauge problem , the sending unit for the gauge is part of the fuel pump module. There is a good possibility a problem exists in the wiring to the fuel pump and gauge. A wiring connection problem could prevent the fuel pump and gauge from working properly. One of the simple things to check and cause a multitude of problems is a blown fuse or a fuse with a poor connection. Would pay to check them.

The odometer has approx 150,000 miles. Dont know when last time plugs & wires were changed (just bought car, used, last Feb). Although my husband did check the plugs & wires to make sure they were connected properly. No loss of coolant. The fuel pump was replaced by my husband & our mechanic friend & they only bought the fuel pump by itself, not with the fuel guage. They realized their mistake AFTER they installed the new pump. I'll tell my husband to try checking the fuses. As I said, the car is kinda stuck in the parking lot of my apartment building, so I cant drive it to my mechanic. Trying to get my mechanic to come to me with the computer to check it.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 PM

One of the things anyone will need to do is check if there is spark getting to the plugs.
Usually if that is present, then there could be a fuel system problem. If your husband was able to change the fuel pump he should have no trouble checking for spark at the plugs. I have every confidence in him. By the time you read this it will probably be too dark out to do it.
There are basic things that we usually check like spark ,fuel, and air.
These things can be checked without very expensive equip.
If you have any carb cleaner left you can try this, spray a shot or two into the air intake for the engine. Then try to start it. If it starts for a short time , (few seconds) that could indicate the engine is not getting fuel to operate. Let us know what results you received. OK, Thanks.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 PM

When a car turns sharp, the end of it's radius, it puts a massive load on the engine.... It sounds like a vacuum leak.... cars from the early 90s were overly dependant on vacuum for every thing including the butterfly valve on the intake.... how does it run with the air on going up a step hill, how week does it respond when the gas pedal is telling it to luck down a gear fire passing.... Try running injector cleaner and high test for the next two or thrtr tanks see if the problem is resolved or persists if it's still around get to a mechanic and have your cat vacuum tested

Old 08-11-2012, 07:41 PM

Sounds like an on demand problem, lowering me to guess vacuum leak.... but, try running injector cleaner and high test gas for at least two full tanks.... if the problem continues get your car vacuum tested.....