LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

Car Turns Off While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Default Car Turns Off While Driving

This only happens when going downhill or at low speed. Not on highway or at decent speeds. I have already replaced my fuel pump and fuel filter before any of this began. I have also already replaced the TPS before this issue. Any recommendations?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:27 PM

I remember when we got written problems in math class and they threw in some things that did not matter . I feel here is another problem with something thrown in, don't know for sure if it matters or not.
Correct me if I am incorrect on this; You did not have the problem until you replaced the fuel pump and TPS.
If that is the case do you suppose one or both of those could be related to the problem?
You did not mention whether the Service Engine Soon lite was coming on, was it?
What year is the vehicle, and what engine is in it?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:58 PM

I remember when we got written problems in math class and they threw in some things that did not matter . I feel here is another problem with something thrown in, don't know for sure if it matters or not.
Correct me if I am incorrect on this; You did not have the problem until you replaced the fuel pump and TPS.
If that is the case do you suppose one or both of those could be related to the problem?
You did not mention whether the Service Engine Soon lite was coming on, was it?
What year is the vehicle, and what engine is in it?

I replaced everything I said I replaced around the summer time of last year.
My SES light has never came on. I need to check the bulb.
Its a 1994 with the 3800 V6

The problem just seemed to appear out of no where...

Old 01-29-2011, 03:21 AM

If the car ran fine after you replaced those items, then I would suggest you carefully remove the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve and check if the passage if full of carbon. If it is , clean it out carefully and also the pintle on the valve. Don't move the dimension of the pintle while doing this and carefully reinstall it. It sounds like the engine is starving for air and fuel at low engine speed. The amount of fuel going into the engine is determined by the amount of air coming in and it is all measured by the MAF (Mass Air Flow ) sensor.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
If the car ran fine after you replaced those items, then I would suggest you carefully remove the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve and check if the passage if full of carbon. If it is , clean it out carefully and also the pintle on the valve. Don't move the dimension of the pintle while doing this and carefully reinstall it. It sounds like the engine is starving for air and fuel at low engine speed. The amount of fuel going into the engine is determined by the amount of air coming in and it is all measured by the MAF (Mass Air Flow ) sensor.
My father and I are going to try that very soon, and I'll be back to let you know what happens. By chance, do you think that a malfunctioning rack and pinion could have anything to do with this also? I have noticed that my steering has gotten tight and my rack and pinion make a thump noise when I turn to the right. I have already checked my power steering fuel, so I know its not that. Thank you for the suggestions!! I really appreciate it!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 PM

Normally I would say the rack and pinion steering should not contribute to the problem of stalling , but without actually checking the vehicle it is almost impossible to offer a worthwhile answer. Some vehicles will speed up the engine idle while parking to compensate for the additional load of the steering system. Most people are not even aware that this is happening they are so busy turning the wheel they never notice it.
You probably should have the steering and suspension checked for some loose or worn parts because it should not thump as you describe.