Terraza Buick's new addition to the sport utility / minivan crossover

Terazza Dies While Driving

Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Default Terazza Dies While Driving

My friend has a 2007 Buick Terazza. Yesterday, while driving home from work, her vehicle died while she was travelling approximately 50 MPH. When I say it died, I don't mean like the running out of gas died, where it sputters for a bit then the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. I mean it totally died...no dash lights, no headlights (it was dark out), no check engine light, and the engine stopped dead. Fortunately nobody was next to or behind her so she was able to pull over. She was able to start it up again and the same thing happened after a half mile. Started again and it hasn't happened since.

It's under warranty but the dealer is saying they can't look at it until next week because they are busy plus they gave her some BS line about not being able to diagnose because there is no check engine light.

Obviously, this is not an okay situation. Now she is afraid to travel for the upcoming holiday.

It sounds to me like a loose cable, maybe from the alternator or PCM or something like that but I really have no idea where to start. Any recommendations on what I can do to diagnose the problem?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 PM

From what you describe the vehicle lost all ? power. It does sound like the ignition switch just went to the off circuit. If it was any other type problem it wouldn't have restarted as if no problem. I don't where you are located or what mechanical ability you possess so there is not too much more I can suggest. The ign switch isn't a difficult job to replace. It is attached to the lower part of the steering column under the dash. Possibly if there is a large key ring attached to the key you might consider removing it and the other keys and the ignition switch may just stay in the right place. That is only a guess.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the input, Hanky. I like your idea about removing all the extras on the keychain. I never even thought of that. I will pass on that information. Have a very happy holiday.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:49 AM

Thank you , and a very happy holiday to you and yours.
There have been some problems with the ignition switches in Buicks . The cars are usually quite reliable.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:11 AM

Do you know if she got it taken care of?

If not, what about a faulty car alarm? Do you know if she's got an aftermarket setup on there by any chance?
I wouldn't think that one would be able to turn off all electricity (other than what's needed to kill the engine), but with today's electronic maze of circuits, who knows what one thing effects?

I've known quite a few car alarms to kill an engine while driving, then start right back up, but I don't know if they lost all power to the accessories or not.

Paul

Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the comments. As per Hanky's suggestion, she removed all of her "accessories" from her keychain to lighten the load, and has not seen a repeat incident since. Either the problem was actually the ignition switch or it's one of those shy gremlins that only sporadically rears its head.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:41 PM

After rereading the original post I'm not sure if the problem is the ign switch. The reason I say that is because the ign switch should not affect the headlights. A thorough check of the battery cable connections and ground connections should be done to eliminate any possible repeat of the problem.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hanky
After rereading the original post I'm not sure if the problem is the ign switch. The reason I say that is because the ign switch should not affect the headlights. A thorough check of the battery cable connections and ground connections should be done to eliminate any possible repeat of the problem.
Seen the battery cable go bad on a 97 caddi and a 03 9C1 but it was from the battery not being properly secured. That could be the issue or loose connection. When was the last time the battery was tested?