New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Park Avenue Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:01 PM

Hello Everyone.

New member here.

I have a 98 Park avenue.The fuel gauge stop working and the dealer states they will have to take it out,the car will be laid up for about a week,and they willsend it to get re-configured at a price of about $300.Can I take the unit out myself and send it in to save a few dollars and still drive the car?Are there any other altenatives?

Thank You [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2006, 05:20 PM

I think its stuck in the gas tank... fooling with this depends on your skill level.. But you can check the lines for sense and see if its not the fuel guage..

Good Luck

Old 09-26-2006, 10:40 AM

Ihave asimilar Park Ave, and have the same problem and the same dealer response.

In my case, the needle is stuck below the stop pin below "E". I believe it is a mechanical problem only, since the DIC (Driver Information Center) does read out all functions correctly, including fuel functions. I don't think that would be the case if there was a problem at the tank. So I can use the 'distance to empty' as a fuel gauge.

I've done some research, and I think that I can probably reset the needle, but I have to either pull the gauge and remove the lens, or drill a small hole and reset with a bent pin.

I don't know if the car will run without the main gauge panel, but it very well may not. So then maybeI would need to get one from a junk yard if I couldn't quickly fix it myself. Then would that just plug in, or is there some programming necessary?

Well, I've given you more questions than answers, but if our problem is the same, maybe somebody has solved it before.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

well first off, welcome to the forum. but like bass said. whether or not u should tackle somethin like that depends of ur skill and level of experiance. if ur comfortable droppin the tank, then go for it. if ur a total newbie when it comes to that kind of stuff, then its prob worth the 300 bucks to have them fix it.