LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

95 Buick Lesabre 3.8 V6, missing coolant, can't find leak anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Default 95 Buick Lesabre 3.8 V6, missing coolant, can't find leak anywhere?

Just did oil change, noticed trans. cooling lines leaking at the rubber metal compression ends, decided to change them. That is all done but I am still finding the antifreeze overflow low. I add a 1/2 a quart of antifreeze everytime I check the motor oil level. Why am I down on antifreeze? Water pump was changed about a year ago. They needed to change a plastic cracked piece next to the water pump as well. They said they replaced it with a metal one. Not sure what this metal piece is but it was leaking antifreeze. New pump, no leaks I can find but the overflow is low.... Not sure why? Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 03-16-2011, 04:43 AM

Buicks had a problem with the intake plenum leaking anti freeze into the cyls. You cannot see it , but it gets burned off through the exhaust until it gets bad enough. I would suggest you either invest in a cooling system pressure tester or have the cooling system pressure tested at a reliable shop and see if it holds or loses the pressure. Depending on those results will determine your next move.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Buicks had a problem with the intake plenum leaking anti freeze into the cyls. You cannot see it , but it gets burned off through the exhaust until it gets bad enough. I would suggest you either invest in a cooling system pressure tester or have the cooling system pressure tested at a reliable shop and see if it holds or loses the pressure. Depending on those results will determine your next move.
Great advice, also could be a faulty head gasket and leaking directly into cylinder(s). Exhaust will actually have a sweet (antifreeze) smell vaporized. Can't vouch for the new orange stuff being non-poison, what or if that is tell-tale as such. This happened twice on my Daytona Turbo Z (obsolete car). This post is back to 2011 lmao.

Last edited by Rich B.; 07-25-2017 at 05:55 AM.