General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Manual passenger door window replacent help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 05:10 PM
Default Manual passenger door window replacent help

Need assistance with replacing passenger door window 63 skylark convertable

Last edited by suprjagfan; 04-06-2022 at 05:12 PM. Reason: 63 skylark
Old 04-07-2022, 07:43 AM

If you need the glass, the first thing you need to do is get the glass.
You will need to remove the horseshoe shaped spring clip that holds the crank handle to the window mechanism`. You push the plastic washer that is behind the crank handle and pull up on the clip.Now the handle can be removed.
There may be 2 phillips head screws that hold the arm rest on., they need to be removed If the interior door handle needs to be removed, it is removed the same way as the window crank handle. Then you gently pry away the covering from the door. Something like a putty knife will work just fine. The entire panel is removed by lifting it up off the door. Once that covering is removed you will be able to see the mechanism and how the window is fastened to the scissor assy. Once you remove the clips , you can remove the glass holder, it comes out from the top and goes back in the same way with the glass glued to it.
If you want addl suggestions , please just say so and I should be able to assist.
If you choose to not do this job, you can always have an auto glass shop do the job.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:07 AM
Default thank you Hanky

Much appreciated Hanky. I actually have to change the felt and bottom seal. Then attempt to adjust it to marry up with the convertable top. Know of places to get parts? Any help to this new classic car owner is appreciated. I am not new to working with pre 75 cars but its been a long time. QUOTE=hanky;18444]If you need the glass, the first thing you need to do is get the glass.
You will need to remove the horseshoe shaped spring clip that holds the crank handle to the window mechanism`. You push the plastic washer that is behind the crank handle and pull up on the clip.Now the handle can be removed.
There may be 2 phillips head screws that hold the arm rest on., they need to be removed If the interior door handle needs to be removed, it is removed the same way as the window crank handle. Then you gently pry away the covering from the door. Something like a putty knife will work just fine. The entire panel is removed by lifting it up off the door. Once that covering is removed you will be able to see the mechanism and how the window is fastened to the scissor assy. Once you remove the clips , you can remove the glass holder, it comes out from the top and goes back in the same way with the glass glued to it.
If you want addl suggestions , please just say so and I should be able to assist.
If you choose to not do this job, you can always have an auto glass shop do the job.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-07-2022, 10:52 AM

I'm pretty sure what you call the felt is called window channel and you might have to get that from an auto glass shop.
I don't know if you will be able to obtain that bottom seal. If you are successful there, I would appreciate knowing where you got it, thanks.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:03 PM

Thanks. If I find that bottom seal I will let you know. Mine is in bad shape.
Originally Posted by hanky
I'm pretty sure what you call the felt is called window channel and you might have to get that from an auto glass shop.
I don't know if you will be able to obtain that bottom seal. If you are successful there, I would appreciate knowing where you got it, thanks.