Buick  Forum - Buick Enthusiasts Forums

Buick Forum - Buick Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Manual passenger door window replacent help (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/manual-passenger-door-window-replacent-help-8959/)

suprjagfan 04-06-2022 05:10 PM

Manual passenger door window replacent help

Need assistance with replacing passenger door window 63 skylark convertable

hanky 04-07-2022 07:43 AM

If you need the glass, the first thing you need to do is get the glass.
You will need to remove the horseshoe shaped spring clip that holds the crank handle to the window mechanism`. You push the plastic washer that is behind the crank handle and pull up on the clip.Now the handle can be removed.
There may be 2 phillips head screws that hold the arm rest on., they need to be removed If the interior door handle needs to be removed, it is removed the same way as the window crank handle. Then you gently pry away the covering from the door. Something like a putty knife will work just fine. The entire panel is removed by lifting it up off the door. Once that covering is removed you will be able to see the mechanism and how the window is fastened to the scissor assy. Once you remove the clips , you can remove the glass holder, it comes out from the top and goes back in the same way with the glass glued to it.
If you want addl suggestions , please just say so and I should be able to assist.
If you choose to not do this job, you can always have an auto glass shop do the job.

suprjagfan 04-07-2022 08:07 AM

thank you Hanky

Much appreciated Hanky. I actually have to change the felt and bottom seal. Then attempt to adjust it to marry up with the convertable top. Know of places to get parts? Any help to this new classic car owner is appreciated. I am not new to working with pre 75 cars but its been a long time. QUOTE=hanky;18444]If you need the glass, the first thing you need to do is get the glass.
You will need to remove the horseshoe shaped spring clip that holds the crank handle to the window mechanism`. You push the plastic washer that is behind the crank handle and pull up on the clip.Now the handle can be removed.
There may be 2 phillips head screws that hold the arm rest on., they need to be removed If the interior door handle needs to be removed, it is removed the same way as the window crank handle. Then you gently pry away the covering from the door. Something like a putty knife will work just fine. The entire panel is removed by lifting it up off the door. Once that covering is removed you will be able to see the mechanism and how the window is fastened to the scissor assy. Once you remove the clips , you can remove the glass holder, it comes out from the top and goes back in the same way with the glass glued to it.
If you want addl suggestions , please just say so and I should be able to assist.
If you choose to not do this job, you can always have an auto glass shop do the job.[/QUOTE]

hanky 04-07-2022 10:52 AM

I'm pretty sure what you call the felt is called window channel and you might have to get that from an auto glass shop.
I don't know if you will be able to obtain that bottom seal. If you are successful there, I would appreciate knowing where you got it, thanks.

suprjagfan 04-07-2022 01:03 PM

Thanks. If I find that bottom seal I will let you know. Mine is in bad shape.

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 18446)
I'm pretty sure what you call the felt is called window channel and you might have to get that from an auto glass shop.
I don't know if you will be able to obtain that bottom seal. If you are successful there, I would appreciate knowing where you got it, thanks.