General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

'11 Lucerne electrical/starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 01:38 PM
Default '11 Lucerne electrical/starting problem

My 2011 Buick Lucerne will not start after I've driven it for a little while. The battery goes dead. But once it's cool down it starts up fine. The battery charges 2 it's designed charge and the alternator checked out fine. It just seems like there's no juice getting from the battery to where it needs to go upon restart. Looking for suggestions or any help at all please!!

Old 05-23-2020, 04:34 AM

Need to know,
Does the starter crank the engine over and the engine just will not start running ?
OR___when you go to start it you get nothing ?

Old 05-23-2020, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Need to know,
Does the starter crank the engine over and the engine just will not start running ?
OR___when you go to start it you get nothing ?
It just clicks as if the battery is dead. Does turn over.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:53 AM

Houston,,,,,we have a problem !!

I'm having a problem with,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If it just clicks, How can it be turning over too?

If the starting motor just clicks, but the starter doesn't crank the engine over, the engine usually will not start running.
Low or defective battery OR poor battery connections will usually prevent the starter motor from cranking the engine over.
If the starter does crank the engine over, but the engine does not fire up and start running, that is another symptom.
Each of those symptoms can have a different cause.
But first we need to know just which kind of symptoms we are dealing with.
Can you help us out here and maybe be a little more specific ?
Also, what kind of maintenance has been done to the vehicle in the past 1 or 2 months? To the best of your knowledge is the battery the original one the car came with?

Old 05-24-2020, 01:29 PM

It did it again today. Drove the car for a little while till it got to operating temperature. Turn it off for a couple minutes and when I went to go restart it... nothing! The dashboard lights and all accessories work. It sounds like the starter engages but will not turn, just making a clicking sound. When I let it cool for about an hour or two it starts right up without any problem. Was thinking there might be an electrical issue or bad connection to the starter motor?

Old 05-24-2020, 02:56 PM

OK, from what you describe, the ignition and fuel systems are working OK.
Now the problem seems to be with either the starter itself or the solenoid on top of the starter.
Considering the age of the starter and possible number of times it was used AND you need to remove the starter to replace the solenoid, Depending on what is available where you reside.
Don't know your circumstances, but if you had a starter rebuilder not too far away my first choice would be to have them overhaul your starter.
The second option would be to get a rebuilt starter from someplace like NAPA, Advance Auto etc. pay the core deposit and if you choose to do the job yourself, replace the starter, return the core and get your core charge back and you are done.
I guess if you don't want to get into it , have a shop do it.