General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1964 skylark convertible 3 speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 07:24 PM
Default 1964 skylark convertible 3 speed

anyone have a 64 skylark with a 3 speed manual transmission, need some help with linkage

Old 05-25-2020, 08:07 AM

What kind of problem are you having?

Old 05-25-2020, 09:02 AM

hello, thanks for replying. someone put a floor shifter in the car , but included the column parts. I can not make sense how the parts fit, if I could get a picture of the transmission to steering column linkage , that would be helpful. my chevrolet cars had linkage rods direct from the steering column under the hood to the transmission, the parts included have several parts I just can't see how they work . I could send a picture of the parts to you if that helps .
charlie, 612 437 9308

Old 05-25-2020, 12:07 PM

I'm not sure that I can be of much help if you are still going to use the floor shift set-up. I could help you if the shift levers were still on the side of the trans and you were still going to use the shift lever on the column. If that was the case , there should be only 2 levers coming from the column. As you may recall one lever shifted 1st and reverse and the other shifted 2nd and 3rd.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:00 PM

hello
no, i want to remove the floor shifter and return the car to stock , on the column. Yes, the 2 levers are there on the column , but the parts they included several parts beyond the shift levers. the transmission levers are there, the 2 inch pieces that bolt to the transmission itself and also the shift rods that go between the tranny and column, but there are other pieces included that i can't make any sense of. do you have a 3 speed or know of someone who does?? thank for your help. if you have a smart phone I could send you a picture of the parts i have
they even had to slide the rear transmission rear mount off center to fit the floor shifter, maybe 1/2 to 1 inch, but still, not so good, that 's what u joints are for , but still.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:46 PM

Suppose we start with this,
Am I correct , this is a rear wheel drive vehicle , yes/// no?

The 2 levers on the side of the trans should be able to go, a short distance in both directions.
If you place each lever in the center between the 2 extremes , that will place the trans in neutral. To confirm that , you should be able to move the rear wheels easily since the driveshaft is free to move.
Now if you place the shift lever on the column in the neutral position. , see which rods fit the distances. You may need to do a few tries switching the rods and switching them around too so they fit comfortably. Then try to shift with the engine off and see what you get.. That should get you in the ball park.
If you want to post the pictures on this forum, you never know who will see the problem, OK ?