Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

Regular vs Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:54 AM

Hello Andersson, Sweden...

I suspect that it is not quite as simple as adding a supercharger. The SC engines also have a different tranny (4T65E-HD "heavy duty"), for example. I think your best bet is to look up a 3800 Series II on eBay, I saw one for sale at $1300 including gearbox the other day.

I happen to have a PA Ultra - not for sale - and I have considered converting it to E85 as well. After a bit of research I figure I need to change the injectors and perhaps the fuel pump, and that should be it.

I don't think you'll save much money though. Considering mileage/price and adding the cost for conversion, you'll probably end up in the same ballpark anyway. But it would be a nice thing every time some sourface goes "Sooo... how many tons of fuel does that bus drink per mile?" to answer "Who cares? I'm running on ecofuels. How about you?" :]

Old 05-30-2007, 02:42 AM

So, there is an Ultra in Sweden... I thought I was going to be the first one. I suppose that you imported your from the States?

So you think I should buy an engine from an Ultra? It's not cheap, and the transport and taxes will make it even more expensive, but I see that it's a lot easier to do so. But, then the engine has to fit in the '91 model. Someone said that the '91 didn't had supercharges as an option, so maybe it is impossible to make the engine fit good in my car..?

Even if I don's save a lot of money now, I think I will in the future. The E85 can't follow the regular gas prices, in a couple of years, I think that E85 is much cheaper than now.
Besides, it feels good running on E85 to save the environment and the shrinkingoil supplies under the seas.

Just curious, in which part of Sweden do you live?
Hehe, feels so silly writing in English when you are talking to another Swede. But if not,I guess someone would be complaining...

Old 05-30-2007, 05:58 AM

Well, on such forums as these you always talk to an audience I suppose.

I live in Gävle and I have a green '94 Ultra that I bought from my father-in-law who bought it from some guy who imported it. It was a "summer car" for many years so when I got it at 120000 miles it was spotless.

P7220028.jpg

I have driven it over 100 000 km by now, summer and winter and over long distances, and it has been bliss. Have never sat in a more charming and comfortable car. 4th gear locks the torque converter at 50 mph/1300 rpm and stays there the rest of the day. Engine is decently strong at 225 BHP although it is by no means a sportscar what with the soft air suspension, it drinks only some 9-10 l/100 km average.

It is still in very good shape but I have had a bunch of minor mechanical and electrical problems. Ball joints worn out, power windows stopped working, main brake cylinder replaced, failed the Bilprovningen test because I had red blinkers in the rear (I rewired the backing light to have orange bulbs), the battery grounding cable rusted so the car stopped bone dead at the highway in 80 mph :[ , it started to misfire which was cured by new coils and ignition module.

Now at 182000 miles I have just had the AC die, there is oil in the coolant and the transmission has started to forget there is a 4th gear on warm days, so I have some expensive fixes to look forward to. =[

But it is worth it, I have been looking around for a possible replacement car and I can't find anything that fancies my palate whatsoever regardless of price, so I'll keep this car alive for as long as I can even if it means rebuilding it from the ground up.

I've considered importing a less worn sample from USA. There are nice green 1995 Ultras (1996- are quite different and I like what I have) to be had for $4-6k that are still young milewise, but I can't quite motivate the expense and work.

I think your easiest choice would be to get an engine from eBay. You have the L27 3800cc V6 which in 1996 was enhanced with the 3800 Series II model, which in turn was enhanced 2003 to the Series III engine. The Series II should fit but the Series III might not due to an electronic throttle control.

More about the venerable 90° Buick V6

If you want more horsepower you could of course also just swap the camshaft to something more aggressive. That might spoil the nice bottom-end torque though, in favour of more punch up at 4-6000 rpms.

Camshafts on Summit Racing

Cheers
Edited by: Michail

Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 AM

Well its good that you found someone with an Ultra in Sweden. And hello to Michail!

To clarify, the '91 Ultra did not come with a supercharger. It was just fancier trim. In '92, supercharging was added, but the car was otherwise about the same. So everything should fit, but you still have the problem of accumulating the proper components.

The major body change came in '97. Having owned a '92 Ultra, and still owning a '97, I can tell you that, in my opinion, the '97 is superior in many ways. And, since this style was mostly unchanged through 2005, parts are much easier to get. But, of course, if you prefer the looks of the older body, that's reason enough.

Incidentally, many Ultras came with the Gran Touring suspension which is not so soft. However, the front struts are heavily loaded and tend to need replacement frequently.

Edited by: MrBSS

Old 05-30-2007, 09:56 AM

I would add that regarding your oil in the coolant, I had the same problem on my '92. As I recall, there was a plastic hose connection on the block that developed a crack and under certain conditions was sucking in some oil that had leaked from the valve covers. The replacement was metal, and it solved the problem (though the valve covers still leaked).

Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:19 PM

Really? That would be good news indeed.

I'll take a better look at it when it stops raining. =/

Thanks a lot for the advice!