Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

Buick Electra 88 backfiring when starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Default Buick Electra 88 backfiring when starting

I have an 88 buick park ave electra that is backfiring when I start it.

Some history of what I have replaced...

I was having problems with the car dying after it had been driven for awhile, and not wanting to restart. It would restart if it had sat for awhile. Well I replaced the fuel filter, the injector o-rings and the IAC motor, the spark plugs and wires, fuel pressure regulator, all to no avail. I then replaced the ignition coil, and wa-la, the car would start, somewhat hard. When changing one of the gaskets (I think EGR valve gasket?), it was ripped, and apparently put in with a piece of it missing. This caused the car to backfire when started. Ever since that point I have not been able to get the car to start. I used starter fluid, and so on. I get fuel on both sides of regulator (or at least sound of fuel draining from one side). I am at a loss as to what to check next. I have heard something about plenum gaskets? Some hose from exhaust to plenum? I'm looking for ideas of what to look for here, thanks!

Edit: A bit more info. I can sometimes get the car to start, and when it does, it will not run properly. It will idle very high when it first starts, it needs me feathering the accelerator to maintain it running, and it will not want to stay running. If I keep the car running for 2 mins or so, it will start to smooth out and not need me feathering the accelerator. Even if I can get it to run, sometimes it will die and not restart at all. Other times if I can get it to run (which is now 2 times out of the last 10 tries) it will just not restart no matter how much cranking. I have also checked the fuel injectors once I could get it running, and apparently all of them are at least firing as I can hear them clicking when I hold a screwdriver to them and my ear.

Should I check fuel pressure? I think the car had a new fuel pump less than 30k miles ago, but I can't get ahold of the previous owner to confirm this. How do I check fuel pressure? I'm kinda new to this car thing, but I have changed a couple heads in the last year or so, and started to get into this a bit more, so I'm starting to learn. Anything you could contribute would rock, thanks.

New Guy,
Detra

Last edited by Detra319; 02-08-2010 at 06:58 PM.