Rendezvous Buick's entry into the mid sized sport utility vehicle market

Problems with Fueling and not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 12:31 AM

I have a 2002 Rendezvous and I love it till this summer. Been having problems with puttin fuel in and then not starting. Started in June and still not fixed yet. Dealership had it this past week and put a new gas tank in my Buick and we got it back on Thursday night and Friday I went out at lunch and made a stop and then my car wouldn't start. Usually it wouldn't start after fueling and now it was not at a gas station and it didn't start. Wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Love my Rendezvous but can't have this to continue to happen.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:15 PM

I'm having the same problem. Mine is an '02 and the first time it happened I was filling up and after I finished it wouldn't start. After about 10 min. it started. A few months later the same thing happened and 10 min later it started. Two days ago I stopped at a restaurant and it wouldn't start back but I hadn't gased up in an hour or so. It never would startup even hours later. I had to get towed in. The starter is turning but its like there is no gas or no spark. My mechnic has no answers yet. I also love my Rendezvous but I need something I can rely on.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:40 AM

When you can't get it started,turn the key back in the off position then turn the key slightly so you can hear the humming sound of the fuel pump priming up the fuel line. If you do not hear the 3 second humming noise,then your fuel sending unit is acting up and might have to be replaced. If you turn the key just a little bit over and over repeatedly after you hear the humming sound it may at first sound normal but after 6-20 times you will notice a differance in the sound or the re won't be a sound at all just a slight pop sound. If you hear this the fuel pump is defective. That is why when the vehicle sits for a while then it will start but there still is some kind of fault with the f pump

Old 08-05-2006, 01:52 AM

Tell them to change the sensor in the gas tank. They did that for ours and it has been fine since that fix. That was last summer and summer of 2006 it has been fine.
Good luck

Old 08-08-2006, 04:33 PM

I just bought my 2003 Rendevzous 6 weeks ago. It has 80,000 miles on it. I was lucky enough to be able to contact the person who owned it before me. She said she loved the car and had no complaints, except one. She said she had to have it towed to the dealership 3 times after getting gas and the car not starting. The dealership would find the car in the morning and it would start right up. 3 times in the shop and 3 times "unable to duplicate" notes at the dealership. Nothing was ever fixed on it. She was able to rectify her situation by never letting the gas tank get below a 1/4 of a tank. She suggested that I, too, never let the tank get below a 1/4. I listened to her for a month and then, as situations warrant, didn't stop for gas until the light came on. I filled up and the car wouldn't start. Luckily I had my husband with me. He took off the battery cables and took out the fuel pump fuse. That seemed to make the car "reset". It started up and away we went. That was good for 2 weeks. Last night I stopped for an oil change and when I was ready to leave, the car wouldn't start again. Luckily the lube shop had a repair shop next door. The repairman came over to try to help me. He strapped ona fuel gauge and nothing. No pressure whatsoever. He told me I needed a new fuel pump. So, $300 part and $200 in labor I now have a new fuel pump. He just called and reported the car started. Considering I've only had it 6 weeks, I am giving it this one screw-up. I looked this morning on several other websites and found this to bea common problems with these cars. Other people reported the following causes:

1) Bad sensor inside the fuel tank. I think they said the fuel tank is positioned bad...car thinks it out of gas kind of thing.

2) Pinched wire on the solenoid wiring harness to the fuel pump.

3) Rusted wiring harness. This is being caused by a leak in the roof from the luggage rack, rain dripping down the left side of the car and rusting the wiring harness.

4) Bad crank position sensor.

I didn't have time to try any of those first. However, my mechanic did say he tested the wiring harness. I just needed my car back. Hopefully the new fuel pump will solve the problem and I won't have any more. If I do, I won't have the car much longer. I just didn't think a 3 year old car with 80,000 miles should not already need a fuel pump.

Regardless, I won't let the car go below 1/4 of a tank ever again.Edited by: B8sballmom4two

Old 10-15-2007, 09:18 AM

2002 Buick Rendevous

2006-6-1 Wiring Harness to gas tank corroded.

Replaced for $250 at GM Garage. Car stopped like

bad fueld pump.

2007-10-11 Car stops on Intersate 71.

Acts like fuel pump is bad. GM dealer states

inside wiring under back seat to fuel tank is corroded.

$350 repair bill.

pietch5@aol.com John Pietch, Wickliffe , OH 44092

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

thats amazing that an 02 will do that, when my 92's have the original pumps and harnesses.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 PM

my o2 did the same thing it ended up being a dead spot in the starter. once replaced i have not had the problem any more