Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

94 Century Trans problem, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:58 AM

I have a 1994 century with 3.1l V6 and a 4T60E trans that we just bought for my son. I was told the car only needed a new water pump (which it did, already fixed) but after fixing the pump, we went to drive the car and found it has a tranny problem that has me a little stumped. At first, it wouldn''t shift out of first, and would make a loud rattling noise under heavy acceleration. The noise sounds like a bad CV joint, but will make the noise while driving straight ahead. I checked the fluid, and drove the car again, and it then would shift into 2nd, although very roughly, and would still make the loud rattle under heavy acceleration, but would not shift into third. It tried to shift into 3rd a few times, but would act like it was in neutral whren it tried to shift. I brought home a Snap-on scanner from work a few days later, and checked for codes. It had a historic code 755 solenoid B failure. I drove the car around with the scanner hooked up today, and the trans will actually shift up into 4th most of the time now, but if you accelerate hard, the loud rattling noise is still there, and it usually makes the loud rattle noise when it shifts from gear to gear. The fluid is full and looks red and doesn''t smell burnt. The car has 95,000 miles on it. It almost acts like it has a problem with the TCC not working right, but the TCC shouldn''t be on while in 1st gear. If anyone has heard of this problem before or has any insight as to what may be causing this, I would greatly appreciate and help. Sorry for the long post, but I tried to include all the info I could.

Thanks!

Mike