Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

91 Buick Century stumbling issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Default 91 Buick Century stumbling issues

Hi guys, I am new to the forum, and I'm hoping for some help diagnosing the problem. I have a 1991 Buick Century with a 3.3 liter V6, and 153K on the clock and I am having issues with it stumbling when you give it gas. I can cruise all day at 65 and it doesn't hickup unless I have the AC on, but when I give it about half throttle taking off, it falls on its face and feels like it is misfiring etc... I can floor it, and it clears up and speeds up very quickly. I have replaced the plug wires, but not the plugs just yet, I got them today, just haven't had a chance to throw them in there. I have a can of seafoam in the gas tank and it doesn't seem to help. I bought another can to throw in the brake booster hose, but haven't done that yet either. I am going to seafoam it, then change the plugs and see if it helps.

Anyone have similar issues??? Could it possibly be the coil packs? I checked the spark and they are all firing at idle when the car is cold, and then again when it was warm. I don't want to throw a bunch of parts at it and not fix the problem. I'm hoping it isn't fuel injectors, because they are spendy, and if it is, I will just have to live with the problem. There is no SES light on, or anything like that, and it idles pretty decent for a car with that many miles on it.
Thanks guys!
Ryan

Old 08-28-2009, 05:20 PM

stumbling is gone, I seafoamed the engine through the brake booster, then replaced the spark plugs and the fuel filter, and wa-la, problem is gone. Now I just have to figure out why my cruise isn't working right. thinking maybe a vacuum hose is leaky or something.

I checked the pressure in the AC system, and it is low. The AC still works but didn't blow ice cold air, but it is enough to keep me cool. Wonder what it would cost to get it topped off...its R12...ugh

The plugs in it were horrible, and don't think they have ever been replaced, which is weird because my father-in-law was a mechanic for 40plus years and bought the car new in 91. I got it as a gift for my work car....just seems like something he would have checked. Ill have to do some searching for the leaky hose...are there any sensors in there that control the speed?? I know there is a speed sensor, but what does that do?? Thanks
Ryan

Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Default 91 Buick Century stumbling issues

i have these same issues i changed the Fuel filter, MAF, Spark plugs and wires, Coil pack, throttle body (with all the sensors) and it still persists i would seafoam it but really i dont know where to put it

Old 09-26-2009, 11:59 AM

i figured out where to seafoam at and still have the same problem does anyone what else it could be please contact me by replying to this forum, PM me or emailing me at buchanan_6969@yahoo.com...

Old 09-27-2009, 04:26 PM

Please have your dealer thoroughly check your car regarding the problems you mentioned. Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy it.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:39 AM

I was having the same problem,but i went to my dealer and get it checked.My dealer adviced me that there were lots of serious problem was there inside my car.i made a correct decision to meet my dealer soon.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM

i dont want / have the money to take it to a dealer im looking to fix it my self i cam here for advice on what it could be

Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Banned

Buick Lacrosse Car DVD Player Navigation system Car DVD Player+ 7 Inch Digital touchscreen+Dual Zone+Built in GPS DVB-T

car DVD player online store

• High Quality: Made by a very famous manufacturer in China, extended warranty: 2 years!
  • 7 Inch TFT high-definition Digital LCD Screen, 800*480 resolutions!(2,650,000 color), support 4:3, 16:9 and full screen display!
  • Specially Designed for Buick Lacrosse. No gap with original dashboard after installation.
  • Convulsed timbre and enjoy all your journey
  • iPOD Ready, Steering wheel control, CDC port, TF Card slot for GPS and music files(support up to 16GB TF Card!).
  • Completely Dual Zone Playback, you can run the gps application while listening to Radio/CD/DVD/music in TF Card/USB device
  • Built-in Digital TV(Only with European Standard is available) is also optional, and it need 220usd to add this function. Please contact us if you are interested in DVB-T function. *Bluetooth function have be included
car DVD player online store