Suspension Talk about your suspension within...

rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Default rattle

I have some kind of a rattle whenever my car goes over any kind of bump but goes away when I put on the brakes just the lightest bit. Does anyone have any opinions on what it could be. Thank you

Old 05-07-2011, 06:33 AM

See if you can pin it down to which side, then you might remove the wheel and look for a caliper getting loose or pads missing an anti-rattle spring.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Default It Could be this.......

Sorry your having the annoying rattle. I had squeaking and rattling when going over bumps only also. I knew it was coming from the driver's front wheel area....because I could feel the rattles from the floor of my left foot. It turned out to be the strut (shock absorber). At first I ruled out anything else it could be (sway-bar, tie-rods)...they were ok. I gained knowledge using youtube for troubleshooting techniques and searching how to replace the strut. I first wanted to just replace the upper strut mount,..however it is dangerous trying to compress the huge spring to relieve tension to take the upper mount off...So I finally chose to replace the whole strut,spring,and mount. I replaced it with a Monroe Quick Strut Assembly. I got a good price on Amazon dot com. $144. No need to compress the spring...it's already to install on the car. My 1991 Park Ave. rides LIKE NEW.. Good luck, and comment as you wish with any other questions. Kind Regards!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 AM

EV
Originally Posted by fritzy191
I have some kind of a rattle whenever my car goes over any kind of bump but goes away when I put on the brakes just the lightest bit. Does anyone have any opinions on what it could be. Thank you

There are a few things you should check. I would start with the shocks. You can test them by pushing down on the car. If the shocks bounce when you let go they are bad.Or you can look at them and if you see oil coming out of them they are bad. It also could be a front motor mount, and last but not least it could be a strut.

Depending on mileage of car and make, might be a worn stabilizer linkage bolt, tie rod loose or a bad ball joint. Could also be loose lug nuts on tire, loose caliper on brakes. Basically, check the whole front end out.

Last edited by Osinachi; 10-22-2011 at 02:57 AM.