Suspension Talk about your suspension within...

front sway bar-2000 century

Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Default front sway bar-2000 century

this is a co-workers car, a 2000 buick century custom. the front sway bar has broke on both sides right next to the mounting eye for the linkage to the lower control arms. found a replacement part at autozone for 138 bucks. how hard is this to replace? every time the front suspention cycles the broken ends "clunk" across each other. usually i see the links broken, this is the first broken bar ive seen, right where the bar is flattened for the mounting eye, left side is worse than the right. ive thought about taking the links out and just wiring the sway bar up out of the way if replacement is too difficult. ive had to do that with the rear sway bar on a taurus before. im not even going to quote a price on doing this job until i know how difficult it is.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Posted the info in the other swaybar thread gonna lock this one.

To answer the info you posted here, the bar is "guarenteed to fail" by design flaw. My car was a Mid ohio car and day 2 of it being up here in Northern Ohio I snapped the bar leaving a stopsign. They are hollow that over time develops pinholes around the eyelets and rust out. There is not a single car in the junkyard that has a in piece sway bar. This same bar is in other cars and minivans. The new dorman bar is so heavy duty, you can't break it w/o totaling the car out in the process.