Roadmaster The full size rear-wheel drive Buick of the past, the longest non limo Buicks

94 RM Estate Wagon fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:21 PM

Thanks, I’ll check it out

byron

Old 07-25-2018, 10:56 PM

Looks like I’ll get the Wagon out of the shop tomorrow. They installed the new pimp and sender Assyrian I supplied. Also a new fuel filter. They said the pump was really dead. So all the tests failed too. $230 labor not bad I guess.

byron

Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 AM

$230 sounds like a lot, especially if you supplied the pump and sender.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:51 AM

There are a few things to keep in mind.
If,,,,,,,everything is pretty rusted under there and possible exposure to road chemicals the job can get to be a bit of a hassle and the addl cge may not be out of line.

Some places will not warranty a job if the owner supplied the parts, it gets a little tacky at times.

The pleasure of driving a very comfortable car will be worth it.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:05 PM

Fortunately my car hasn’t seen a Minnesota salty winter. There is very little rust under the car. Mostly normal surface rust that a 24 year old car would get. The shop did all the preliminary tests including pounding on the tank. The motor was stone dead.

it had made a whine ever since I got the car. The new one is totally silent even standing next to the car..
they also put a new fuel filter on and checked the fuel pressure. All is good now.

byron

Old 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM

Glad all is well, thanks for the update.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:10 AM

Well the car rain nice when I picked it up however the shudder is still there at 50-70 mph. I contacted a trans shop and they can test both the trans and ready and codes including ABS and AC

so next week ill take it up there for the check up. Like going to my doctor. I don’t like throwing parts at a problem.

interesting they suggested trying and injector cleaner. I always thought these were snake oil but the new premium ones really do work so I’ll give it a try.

byron

Old 08-03-2018, 10:19 AM

There is a product from NAPA that is called Anti studder. It goes in the trans. It will stop trans studder, but if that is the issue, you are probably going to have a trans rebuild in the near future.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:14 AM

Could what you describe as shudder be a possible misfire condition or power being cut as cutting out?
It could be either fuel or electrical , something like a fuel pump relay dropping out resulting in a fuel problem.

With older vehicles you had to use some imagination and place a fuel pressure gauge where you could see it while driving or a test light in the right place to see if signals were dropping out.
It will be interesting to see what the shop comes up with.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:25 AM

The condition usually occurs at low throttle settings, in high gear, and at those speeds. I though it was a misfire, but when I added the anti studder, it immediately quit. If you shift into a lower gear, it will usually stop as well.

Fuel pump relays have not been known to produce that symptom. Fuel pumps usually work or do not work. It is possible that the ignition wires are arcing. You can check for that at night...there will be a light show under the hood.

Quick Reply: 94 RM Estate Wagon fuel pump