Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Default Wheel Bearings

2001 Buick Regal LS. 130000 miles.

My Regal recently starting making a loud buzz when I drive. My first thought was that it may be due to the exhaust, but when I brought it into a shop they said they think it is most like one or two messed up wheel bearings. They said they aren't sure if it is the front or back wheel, and that I would have to bring it back into the shop so they can check out both wheels.

They said to fix one wheel bearing would cost me $390. Is this reasonable? I am a little skeptical because my car started making this buzzing noise very shortly after I got an oil change at the same shop. Should I be concerned about the shop trying to scam me? Any idea how I can get this noise in my car to stop?

Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Parts are $80-100 it all depends on the shop and labor. If you have a local that is not a large chain you could get a better deal.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:57 PM

The parts cost will depend on if its drum or disc rear and if it's a front or rear hub assembly. They are usually at least two quality choices.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...gal&vi=1371125

Does the noise change as you turn to the left or right ?? Normally if it's a bearing that is starting to go out the noise will change or in some cases quit completely when you turn in one direction as it loads the bearing with more weight and takes up the play for all the wear.

If you're worried get a second or third estimate. But first have someone find out what it is so you can compare prices on the part you actually need and not one of four possible bearings.