Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:37 PM

<DIV></>Hello there, </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have a 97 Buick Regal 3.8 SC . Well maintained drives good. 3 weeks ago it started making a ticking noise while the car was started. In park the noise is steady, it grows faster/slower when accelerating/slowing down. You really can Not hear it when you go over 30mph. (I am sure it still there) Took it to a dealer, and was told that it was the flex plate, which they replaced, but the noice was still there. I have made over 1.5k since the noice started, and it is still the same, car drives good and it makes me crazy. Anyone had an experience with anything similar?</DIV>
<DIV>has 91k miles. </DIV>Edited by: ihearnoises

Old 03-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

try taking off the sc belt. and see if the noise is still present

Old 03-27-2008, 06:46 PM

Hey i have a similar problem. But mine is not so mucha tick as it is a whine. It is in the belt and pulleys, i replaced idler, not it, may be water pump going out. I have been told that many gm cars. sometimes produce noises that are just unique to the car. So check your pulleys, pumps, and if the pulleys have any play or pumps dont have resistance and freely spin replace them. I cant say this would fix the problem but its somewhere to start. as for me i have to figure out the whine my cars making.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BPA1986
Hey i have a similar problem. But mine is not so mucha tick as it is a whine. It is in the belt and pulleys, i replaced idler, not it, may be water pump going out. I have been told that many gm cars. sometimes produce noises that are just unique to the car. So check your pulleys, pumps, and if the pulleys have any play or pumps dont have resistance and freely spin replace them. I cant say this would fix the problem but its somewhere to start. as for me i have to figure out the whine my cars making.

hey bud, please start your own topic, thanks

ihearNoises, did you have any luck with your rattle?

Old 03-28-2008, 02:28 PM

<DIV>Well, as i drive to work 70 miles each way now, I can not say that the car drives any different than it did before the noise started. It is still the same, mostly the loudest when i start the car up as stated above, and when I pull to the stop ( what I did not mention is that the noise is not there when i stop completely in gear, but when I switch to park, the noise comes back) My brother in law is a mechanic and is coming over in few weeks to visit me, we will do some more diagnostics. Take belts off as you advised and see if its a bearing somewhere in there althogh we installed new pulleys about 6 months ago.I don't want to guess anymore that I have to, but I will defnitely post any updatesonce we find out what it is. </DIV>
<DIV>Edit: My mechanic bro calls it a "rotational noice" whatever that means. Also, the dealer, wanted to take the engine apart cause they "suspected" it was a balance shaft, or a balance shaft bearing. I didnt want to financially sponsor their gueses anymore therefore I decided to wait. Besides my bro said, that if its a balance shaft, we will be able to replace it ourselves onnce he moves down here in may, and that i can drive with the noise if it is in fact balance shaft, untill we replace it. Will keep you posted. </DIV>Edited by: ihearnoises

Old 11-12-2008, 10:19 AM

Just a quick update. I changed the trans fluid and added Lucas trans fluid. The noise slowly went away. 108k miles on the car now and still runs. I am glad i didnt take it to trans place, they would prolly make me rebuild it [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]...