Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

97 regal drvr wdo issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Default 97 regal drvr wdo issue

I inherited a car from my parents in great shape but drvr wdo has issues. First I thought it did not go down due to winter cold issues. Then today pretty warm but rainy wdo went dwn but only partly then would only go up then it was done did not work again. I am sure it will work again tomorrow when it is dry????

Any common issues with wdo regulators or switches that I do nto knwo about. I hate to start chasing my tail without having some insight.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Might not be a bad idea to check the electrical connections to the window motor otherwise sounds like the motor is tired.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:44 AM

It's either the electric motor or something in your Regulators gears.

How to Install a Window Motor on a 1992 Buick
By Allen Moore, eHow Contributor updated: November 16, 2010

A power window system in a 1992 Buick relies on the window motor to provide the kinetic energy to move the window glass up or down. The window motor takes the command from the window switch and then turns a gear in the motor's nose that connects to a larger gear in the window regulator. As the motor gear turns, the regulator moves in response to the motor. If the window motor fails, the entire system is useless until you install a new motor. Anyone with basic auto-repair skills can install a new window motor in a 1992 Buick in about an hour.

Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
things you'll need:
Trim tool
Phillips screwdriver
Packing tape
Socket set

Pry the Buick's power window switch out of the door panel with the tip of the trim tool. Unplug the switch from the door's wiring harness by hand.
I used the 15 dollar NAPA trim tool, worked great.

Use the Phillips screwdriver to remove the mounting screws from the Buick's door panel.

Lift the door panel up and off the Buick's door by hand.

Push the Buick's window glass to the top of the window frame by hand. Tape the glass to the top of the window frame to prevent the glass from dropping back into the door.

Pull the wiring plug out of the base of the window motor by hand. Remove the two mounting bolts from the window motor with your socket set.
it says mounting BOLTS, in my '92 they were RIVETS, has a grinder/dremmel, cutoff ready!

Pull the old window motor out of the Buick's door by hand and replace it with the new motor. Bolt the new window motor to the Buick's door and window regulator with the socket set.
after grinding out 5 rivets you remove the regulator from the large back hole, i usually remove the front speaker so I can get anything that drops, broken rivets etc.

Plug the wiring into the base of the new window motor by hand. Reinstall the Buick's door panel in reverse of how you removed it. Remove all the packing tape from the Buick's window glass before operating the new window motor.
Note: these are instructions for a '92.
I used a new NAPA electric motor(I could have bought reman. but do I really want to do this again?)

The problem with my old motor was the seal was bowed out and I guess water got in there, I hear it is a common problem.