Project and Build Forum Post pics and step by step instructions for any projects or car builds you are working on to keep everyone updated.

My neverending project. "Special Ed"

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default My neverending project. "Special Ed"

Before I get into talking about my car, I'd like to thank the IB staff for creating this section. Thanks a lot guys, its really appreciated

Now, on to my car.

I got this car in January 2011, to replace my 2000 Ranger that I wrote off in December 2010. Not long after I got the car,
I started picking away, doing a few small things like disabling the DRL's and ALC.

A little later on, I started buying some LED bulbs to replace the interior bulbs. I have blue in the footwells, and white in the map and rear lights. I also bought 4300k HID's.

After this, I started in on a little more "custom" work by adding a relay to keep the low beams on when I turn the highs on too.
I also put the car bra that was on the car when I bought it, back on. I do a lot of highway driving, so it helps cut down on the rock chips and scratches.

Next, I done a little painting on the interior. I painted the dash and door handle trim with plasti dip, to give it a Regalish look.

A couple months ago, my cat got plugged up, and caused me some trouble. After replacing it, I found a couple places for a photoshoot. lol

A couple weeks ago, I painted the chrome trim around the outside black. I think it looks much better.

And, this is my latest project, blue led interior lighting

I just have the one strip right now. I'm waiting for more to come in the mail.

This all brings us to today, when I changed my 4300k bulbs for 6000k

Its hard to tell, but I have my high beams on too for comparison

Old 11-05-2011, 05:10 AM

Nice work and nice pix too !

Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks man. Its slowly getting to how I want it. Just as long as the car stays running by then. haha.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Intrested in that ALC and how you got around it. How hard was it to paint the dash and remove the vents? I found a Wodgrain sheet and not sure if I want to tackle that or not for that dash pannel and doors. Like the blue lighing I was debating on doing the same but with white leds. My subaru I used red with white map lights. Was concert sound II standard after a certain year or was that a SE package with the astroroof? Didn't intend to hijack your thread.

*EDIT* just noticed the panoramic dash pic.

Last edited by Merc6; 11-05-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

The ALC was really simple. Just add a 4.7k ohm resistor across the wires for the sensor at the BCM.

The dash was fairly easy to come apart, the vents just clip in. It was a little time consuming doing it the first time, trying not to break any of the clips, but after the 4th or 5th time taking it apart, you get used to how it comes apart. haha. Its all clips, except for a screw under the the fuse panel cover on the passenger side. You have to open the glove box, and pull the lower dash piece down. There are a few videos on youtube showing how it comes apart.

Concert sound II was either part of the "Custom" package, or the "SE" package, i'm not sure, and was also available as an option on the base model too, i think.

Let me know if you have any more questions

I also fixed my dead odometer display tonight. I took out the old resistors, and soldered in 4 150 ohm resistors. Less than an hour later, and its as good as new

Old 11-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I seen the dash video just not the vents. Whenever I do the resistors in the cluster I'm going leds. That hasn't broke, yet.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot to tell you I got practice with removing the dash trim to get that 200 KM/H cluster out of the wrecked C2K. Hardest part was the shifter in park. Still haven't taken it apart to see how the leds are set up.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Haha yeah, that must have been difficult. Its enough trouble with the shifter in 1st. I tried putting a blue led 194 bulb in place of one of the bulbs when i was putting everything back together. It turns out, that bulb went a little wacky on me before i put it in, and it wouldn't light up either way. I'm thinking about adding an AUX port to the stereo next weekend, so I might try again with a different bulb. I'm interested in seeing what the green overlay would look like with a blue bulb behind it.. I doubt i'll get into replacing all the small bulbs with LEDs. Who knows. haha

Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't check the bulb size that twist out the back. Most books refuse to give me usable info. My major complaint in all of this would be the needles being super dim.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

The twist out ones were 194 or similar size -> t10 LED. I'm doubting my plans of blue will work, but white bulbs could work. Unfortunately, all of my white bulbs are in places that are too difficult to access to test out in there. I'll see if I can take one out of my map light for when I do the radio.

Quick Reply: My neverending project. "Special Ed"