Project and Build Forum Post pics and step by step instructions for any projects or car builds you are working on to keep everyone updated.

Help me with my 70 Electra rebuild!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 07:10 PM
Default Help me with my 70 Electra rebuild!

Hello everyone,

I've had this project sitting for a couple years now and am starting to get around to rebuilding the engine since it was seized. This is my first time rebuilding an engine from the bottom up. A 4-door 1970 Electra 225 with the 455.
I have the engine out of the car now and almost fully taken apart. One of the rods has a pretty nasty bend to it and the corresponding bearing was nowhere to be seen, which is obviously why it was seized.
The main components of the engine seem alright and I plan on taking the block, heads, crank and rods + pistons to the machine shop to be redone.

It seems like there are a lot of decisions I have to make, and I am looking for a bit of guidance from some of you who are more experienced with these engines (I'm 22 so I didn't grow up with these cars, but am eager to learn).
My goal is to rebuild this engine and achieve factory horsepower and torque specs (or possibly a little bit more; A little performance upgrade won't hurt!).
I am not looking to do any sort of extreme performance build cause I probably cant afford it, and I don't plan on taking this thing to the drag strip.

-Looking for a cam recommendation and what components I would need to accommodate the cam (i.e. springs, lifters)

-As far as I know the 1970 heads and block are quite desirable. I plan to get the heads completely redone.
My question regarding that is should I have them converted to Stage 1 specs? Or are the 1970 heads good enough on their own? My casting numbers are 231786 for the heads.
Also regarding this, I read somewhere that the 1970 heads do not have hardened valve seats. Is this a huge issue?
(I plan to get some info on this from the machine shop as well, but I figured I will ask the pros here first)

-I will need a new set of rods (or at least 1 new one). I am not sure if the original pistons will be good to use, so am considering replacing them if anyone has any recommendations.

-Rocker shaft. Am I going to have any issues using the original rocker shaft and rockers? I know that the plastic nubs that hold the rockers in place
should be replaced, which I plan on doing.

-Oiling modifications. I see many places online show how to modify the oiling passages in 455 blocks. I have not found one that shows
which modifications should be done for a 1970 block. My research has shown that the 1970 blocks are unique in that they have smaller passages
than the 1971-1976 blocks. Any recommendations for this would be great.

If any of you guys have any tips or recommendations for me I would really appreciate it!
I am still not sure if I need to get the block bored over or not, but if I do It does not need much.
I have heard of TA performance, but I live in Canada so have not looked into prices for shipping.
Trying to do this on somewhat of a budget, I will spend money on quality parts where it is necessary.

Thanks a lot!
-Paul G