Project and Build Forum Post pics and step by step instructions for any projects or car builds you are working on to keep everyone updated.

1969 Skylark for Big Block and Blower

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 08:06 AM
Default 1969 Skylark for Big Block and Blower

I'm just finishing my first project that is a 1985 IROC and now I'm hooked and ready to embrace my midlife crisis with the real deal....a big block A Body. I'm browsing CL and I cam across this car...im out of Denver, so it would be an 8 hour drive...i think I'm a buyer at $2k....is this car worth that, and is it a solid starting point for a big block, mad max supercharged, wasteland zombie killer? Thanks.

https://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/d/1969-buick-skylark/6379837724.html

Old 12-07-2017, 05:23 PM

May be more rust than what's showing. The driver side is always worse rust-wise everything than passenger side, in Maine anyways. Strange that this side shows worse condition. Yes, that car would be starting from ground floor up and if anything, interest would be lost after a few years and the project may be overwhelming.

Is one thing to attempt resto as is, but believe it would entail frame and suspension work, tranny/rear end upgrades to support a big block with supercharger. Not to mention $$$$. Ford had problems with the Boss 429 in its day doing that mod with CarCraft. Smaller car but many of the problems that would exist are not exempt even with a Buick.

But it's been done, so can't say too much either way. Myself I wouldn't attempt it, went out and bought what I wanted new. Not particularly crazy about supercharged, but that was the entire idea of going with hi RPM as a counter objective. Seemed to of worked with 11 sec. 1/4 miles and only slicks added. Won't do it with my car but others are with identical engine and drive-train. The interesting thing is it does the same times as factory supercharged versions i.e. Shelby GT500. Not about all horsepower or torque for that matter......

Good luck with that project, hope to hear on progression. Forgot- In '85 IROC was an acronym for "International Race of Champions". Just was a bunch of identically prepared race cars with celebrities driving around the track. Camaro had a street version the IROC Z in those times. As everything else back then, not able to get out of its own way. My '84 was same difference by today's standards. Not at all attempting to slam anybody's posts and put myself in the same scenarios. https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-iroc-z-page-3

Last edited by Rich B.; 12-09-2017 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Always can be edited better.