Project and Build Forum Post pics and step by step instructions for any projects or car builds you are working on to keep everyone updated.

1960 Lesabre project

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 07:28 PM
Default 1960 Lesabre project

Hello Buick Forum! I recently got my mitts on my first Buick.

It's a 1960 Lesabre. It didn't run when I bought it but was complete. All the trim and interior, complete with about a thousand mice.

I've wanted to get a big four door for a while now, and I couldn't pass up the Patina on this one. So far I've cleaned the car up a little, swapped the single pot master cylinder for a dual circuit I had left over from another project and swapped the generator for a GM 3 wire alternator.

My goal is to leave the body exactly how it is, but make the interior super comfortable. That means new door panels, head liner, carpet, seats , Am/Fm radio, and a completely restored dash. I plan to add a tach, water temp gauge, and oil pressure gauge. I just need to find a way that doesn't look too ricey.

The first dash part I attacked was the adjustment levers for the climate controls. The chrome is dull, the plastic lenses are faded, and the black backing plate is rusty.

The solution was to remove the rusted beyond salvage ***** and replace them with stainless steel replicas, as I have no ability to have parts chromed.

I took a 1/4-20 stainless bolt, TIG welded a stainless nut on the end and filled in the nut with filler.

I ten used a rill and a file to make the rough shape and polished the pieces.

Here is the Radio I got from Classic car stereos. Should be a nice addition when paired with front and rear speakers, maybe a small sub.

Here is the flint metallic paint I am painting the interior panels. It is very similar to the color they were, minus the rust.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:45 PM

I can really appreciate what you are doing.
It is always nice to see a "Craftsman" at work. nice work !

Keep us informed on your progress, I know it will be a learning experience for us, thanks.
Where did you find that Gem <(The car)?

Old 04-30-2020, 05:48 PM

Thanks! I pulled the car out of a field in northeast Wisconsin.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:02 PM

Brings back some memories,
The 59's had the rear fins really stick out and were known for knocking over parking meters when backing up and parking.They modified them some for 1960. lol

Old 05-03-2020, 06:50 PM

Master cylinder

Here is my alternator setup.

Here's the climate control panel. Chrome polished, plastic lens polished, re-painted the letters and back plate.

Painted a few more of the interior parts.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:32 PM

It's been a little while since I dropped an update, so I figured I would. I cleaned out the gas tank and painted it. Fuel pump. sending unit, filter and rubber lines all needed replacement.

Cleaned up the guage bezel and started polishing the aluminum.

Threw in the Fast and Furious guages, as you do. 40psi oil pressure.

I've arranged access to a 2 post lift, so exhaust comes soon!

Old 07-21-2020, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the update. Kinda brigs back something when the individual cars looked different. Not like today , no matter what you drive , they all look the same.!

Old 10-15-2020, 05:43 PM

Small update for now: I finally got fed up with the ancient 2 barrel on the 364. Way too slow, way too crusty and just would not run right. The only solution is a 4 barrel intake off a 401 and a set of adapters!