New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Hello from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Question Hello from Texas

Hi, I'm Mike.
I'm looking for a little info. I've found a 1990 Estate Wagon for sale, and I'm very seriously interested in buying it. I'm just seeking further info on the model.

A bit about me... I live in the Texarkana area, but grew up in Aurora, CO.
A big Buick is a welcome adventure for me. I'm very much a Volkswagen enthusiast and have owned quite a few, including my current toy: a 1984 Rabbit GTI. My wife and I have 2 toddlers, and the GTI, although capable of hauling our menagerie around, isn't really the most practical. Plus, having lived in TX for a few years now, I've noticed it's not a very "VW friendly" place, as there are a limited number of VeeDubs around, making maintaining an older VW difficult and pricey.
So Wifey wants a bigger vehicle. I got her a seemingly ok Minivan, but a few months later the transmission gave out with no warning.
So now we're thinking wagon.

So I wanted to ask the folks who would know these domestic giants better than most their opinions of the Estate.

The seller wants $2000.
Dude says 37k miles - I suspect it's probably 137k and the odo rolled. I've read that the 307 V8 is good for 250k at least -- if maintained. I'm not sure, this will be my first V8.
Car looks solid enough in pics, although I've not seen it in person yet. I'm going to see and maybe buy it next weekend. Looks like someone may have tried breaking into it as the driver door lock is gone and the lower door window chrome is a little mangled.
The paint looks ok for 24, clear peeling off roof and hood. Burgundy paint, tan leather(?) interior, woodgrain appliqué.
The woodgrain is interesting... It has alternating black and dark red ribbing on it. I can't find any pics online of other Estates with this trim. Anything special???
Dude says it runs and drives great. There's a number of things been replaced, but nothing that strikes me as indicative of a big problem hiding.

So what do y'all think? What are some issues I should look for? Where are these beast prone to rust? Do y'all think it's a good buy?

http://s453.photobucket.com/user/dis...Estate%20Wagon

Last edited by DiscoWhitefang; 03-10-2014 at 07:07 AM.