Lucerne Buick's full size luxury vehicle

Trunk retaining water

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:51 PM

Make sure you check your spare tire well for water. Our 07 had 3" in it after driving in a down poor for 4 hours this past saturday. No clue where it is coming from. It only has 3400 miles on it, so good luck fixing that Mr. Goodwrench.....

Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 AM

I have the last generation Park Avenue, which I believe is the same platform as the Lucerne. I have the same problem. I can't give you the solution, but maybewe can help each other solve it.

I was in the body shop (somebody broke the back side window to steal my son's golf clubs), and they said they could find the leak by using talc in the trunk and spraying with water. Seems like it could work, but I wonder how easy it would be to get all the residue out.

Anyway, when I picked up the car, they apparently forgot to do that part. It seems like I could do that myself (and probably at much less cost).

I wonder if that is actually the procedure and if anybody has done it or seen it done.

Edited by: MrBSS

Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 PM

Dealer claims there were seals missing behind the tail lights. WHOOPS thats what happens when the assembly guy stops to light his Camel, he misses a step.

Don't know what to tell you about the PA. Strip the trunk lining completely out and hose it down, see what you find. I have the advantage of warrenty, you probably don't....so that sucks. If it was my car, I would start with a garden hose. Last resort, since you son left his clubs in plane sight and some one busted a window to snag them, stick him in the trunk shut the lid and soak it down see what you find.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 AM

Glad you got yours fixed! Someone else has mentioned taillight seals as a probable cause. I guess I should first examine them to see if anything's obvious.

If not, I do think I'll stick one of my sons in the trunk and try to find it over the weekend. Got to be some benefit of having three boys, right?

Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 PM

I just found a couple inches of water in the spare well of my 2007 tonight.
Anyway, please post if you determine the entry point though I''m inclined to
see if they make a "one way" plug that will drain out but not let water in.
You could go for months/years and never realize you have a trunk full of
water.Disappointing quality on a premium GM.Don

Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 PM

When I got my 2007 back in 2010 it came with a leaking trunk and headliner problems, I had both fived under warranty.
My 2002 Caddy STS had a leaking trunk when I got it in 2005, I would agree that GM has a issue with learning from their mistakes as both car were not the first year for their body styles.
Mike

Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 AM

Have used both methods. If it is a good sized leak you will usually be able to spot it by spraying with someone inside. If difficult to find the talcum powder route works.Only do certain areas at a time. The dry talc can be vacuumed up and the wet dries quickly. Personally, I prefer the fragrance of the talcum powder to the smell of wet insulation.