LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

98 LeSabre A/C Compressor Pulley Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:25 PM
Default 98 LeSabre A/C Compressor Pulley Question

Good afternoon, evening, or morning depending on where you might be in this wonderful world we call home. I am new to this forum, and for that matter am a novice when it comes to car care & the works. That out of the way here is my issue.

I recently purchased a 98 LeSabre, when i noticed it was making some weird noises coming from the serpentine belt area. I popped the hood and traced it to the a/c compressor pulley, metal shavings could be seen flying off the pulley.When i climbed back into the seat and turned the a/c on there was loud grinding noises. I undid the serpentine belt to take a closer look at the a/c pulley and "clutch" (This word was used online in videos, i am just continuing to use in the hopes that it is correct). The a/c compressor pulley has a thin metal ring between it and the outer rim, this thin metal ring and the pulley are able to move around , wobble. This thin metal ring has wear in it which is what i believe to be what the grinding is coming from.

So here are my questions for which i seek better expertise & insight. Should the pulley wheel be able to move around or wobble, or is this freedom to move causing the metal ring to grind? If it isn't supposed to slide would that be fixed by tightening the "Clutch" piece, pushing them all closer together? Or is this a bearing or assembly issue, and would replacing the bearing fix this? Or would purchasing a whole new A/C pulley and clutch assembly be needed?

I appreciate any help on this matter, I am just trying to see if I can fix something right the first time for once. There's always hope right? Anyway thanks again, and if you have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask