LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

’97 LeSabre Fails to Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:52 AM

I purchased a 1997 LeSabre Custom with 145 ,000 miles last August. I am a college student and study out in Minnesota, but live in Michigan. The car made the 750 mile trip to school just fine in August and once again in November for Thanksgiving.

However, I have noticed ever since I purchased it that coolant levels go down really fast without much pooling beneath the car, but the car had been running fine. Last week, it failed to start for the first time. A friend thinks that it just might be the spark plugs failing due to the cold Minnesotan winters. After reading posts concerning the plastic manifolds melting and causing engine and intake damage, I fear that this is the problem.

I left the car in MN for Christmas break and returned home, so I can't have it looked at for another two weeks. Now I am scared to death that I might have to buy another car. Since the coolant had been quickly disappearing four months ago, wouldn't the engine have show signs of trouble back then instead of just now? I mean, it handled two 750 mile/ 12 hour trips just fine a month ago.

What do you think?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-42";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-28-2007, 10:51 AM

My 98 LaSabre had an internal coolant leak directly into the combustion chamber from the plastic intake manifold. It stranded me in Colorado when it finally hydrolocked - the combustion chamber filled with enought coolant that piston couldn't compress it. I bought apick up truck and towed it back to Phoenix where I had it repaired. I do believe that it may have been a factory defect but didn't show up until about 2004 or 5. It cost about $1,100 for the repair but it was worth in as I've not had any problems since.

Steve Wieck