LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

2002 buick lasabre noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:23 AM

I have a 2002 buick lasabre custom that has a knocking in the front left of the car. The knocking has the sound like a loose strut.I am not sure if it is the wheel bearing or maybe the left drive shaft. Is there some way to diagnose without having to swap parts? I thought the knocking was a bad loosetie rod end as it had slack but it was replaced and still has the noise. It does not make the noise when stopped and the knocking sometimes knocks in time with each revolution of the wheel. It also knocks when you put the car in netural and coast. The shop that replaced the tie rod drove it and said it may be the bearing but not sure since he checked everything while under the vehicle.

If anyone has any clue please let me know shortly as we are planning a trip and I want it fixed before we leave.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2006, 02:16 AM

You might try getting the front wheels off the ground and then put the car in gear to get the wheels turning.Put it in 1st gear so the wheels don't get going too fast and properly suport the car so it doesn't fall. Should put parking break on too.Then if it is making the noise you can look around and see if you can tell where it is comming from. I doubt that it will make the noise with the wheels off the ground because knocking noises are usually cause by the suspension moving around while going over bumps and stuff but since you say it seem to be with the each revolution of the wheel then maybe just having the wheels turning will make it make noise. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:52 AM

Thanks for the answer but I think I have it fixed. I replaced the bearing hub with a used one from a junk yard and it proved to be junk but did not hear the knocking...the used one made a whinning sound. Carried it back and purchased a new one and so far all is well.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Your noise sounds like a CV joint gone bad based on your descrition of the problem. A bad CV joint is not always evident by a leaking CV joint boot. CV joints are one of the weakest parts of any suspension system due to their design and function. I would take the car to Midas or other reputable firm for dianosis and repair.