LaCrosse Buick's new mid-sized luxury sedan

Service All Wheel Drive System/Service Real Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Default Service All Wheel Drive System/Service Real Wheel Drive

I bought my Buick Lacrosse new in April 2011 and have about 58,500 miles on it, I know, very low miles, I used to work from home a lot.

I have had all scheduled maintenance done and just recently had a service alert pop up that says, "service all wheel drive system and then service rear axle. I did get new Goodyear tires about 6 weeks ago.

It stopped happening after 3 or 4 mornings of this alert.

Has anyone had this happen? I do live in a cold weather state.

I don't want to cause a bigger problem but I don't want to get ripped off because I had to fire the dealership where I bought the car and had all service done when they charged me over $300 for a new battery when THEY broke the cables which were fine prior to the new battery!

Please offer your advice asap because I am supposed to take Beauty the Buick in this week to another dealership.

Thank you!
Beauty's Mom

New info 2/9/19

Well unfortunately this turned out to be a very costly issue. The warning light came back on and I drove the car right to the dealership with it on so they could accurately diagnose the problem. Turns out it was a failed rear
clutch piston that was leaking fluid into the differential. Required a replacement rear clutch piston kit and to do this required that the rear axle had to be removed and reinstalled. Approximately 7 hours of labor! $1473.99 including tax!

Apparently this is common in Cadillacs but not so common in Buicks.

I still love my car and am happy to have her back home and running smoothly.

Signed, Beauty's Mom

Last edited by Beauty's Mom; 02-09-2019 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-16-2019, 03:42 PM

Possibly related to universal joints check(s) whereas rear wheels are also powered, must have driveshaft to rear axle. Oil in rear axle, may require refill with new oil. Seems it's just a reminder for scheduled PM. Car will also denote due oil change % at least the '16's do. Good chance also that can be manually acknowledged and cancell reminder also.

I'd check too in owner's manual if there is anything extra that requires servicing at around 58K miles. Just for info, if say an Optima battery was installed in your car with new terminals $300 maybe not a bad figure. Terminals can sometimes be stress cracked, corroded or even deformed. Don't know exact circumstances either...... Example: https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...3.6L&find=find

Last edited by Rich B.; 01-16-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 PM
Default Update on Service All whr

Thanks Rich for your thoughts.

I think I will see if the message comes up again because I was unable to find anything in the manual.

Last edited by Beauty's Mom; 02-09-2019 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Update on Service All Wheel Drive System