LaCrosse Buick's new mid-sized luxury sedan

Right Rear Speed Sensor wire connection on 2013 LaCrosse AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 08:19 PM
Default Right Rear Speed Sensor wire connection on 2013 LaCrosse AWD

Hello,
I have the ABS/Stabiltrak lights on and have no ABS brakes currently. Had the code read and they said C0050, which is right rear wheel sensor circuit. I pulled out the wheel sensor and cleaned it some, but it did not help. I would like to check the harness connection from the computer to the sensor wire connection to determine if the sensor is receiving a signal form the computer/ABS system, but the wire runs upward and disappears above the gas tank and above the rear wheel drive module/unit. Has anyone ever disconnected the wire connection to the harness that runs to the wheel sensor? Is it possible to get to it from underneath? How do you get to it? Does it perhaps run up through the floor and under the back seat or into the trunk? Any help is appreciated. I have a Haynes Book, but it does not go into that level of detail. There must be a way to get to it inside the vehicle.

If it is not getting a signal from the ABS unit, I will then test the resistance of the sensor. I probably could go ahead and do that anyway and if it is 0, could replace it .

Old 08-30-2019, 07:28 AM

I believe your latter idea is a good move and should save you a lot of trouble.. Make sure the sensor can get it's signal from the wheel hub as required.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:08 AM

Thanks. I was just looking under the hood for the location of the ABS unit and I have not been able to locate it. Anyone know where it is located on a 2013 Lacrosse?

Old 08-31-2019, 01:38 PM

It appears the black reluctor ring on the hub is about 85% gone. Most of the area is shiny with only remnants of the reluctor ring. I removed the hub and picked up a new one. There is a layer of black, magnetic material (fairly thin) and without this ring to send a signal, no abs. The material is only about a 16th inch thickness on the new hub. Too bad the ring can't be replaced because the actual bearing and hub seems fine.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:20 PM

All fixed. New hub is in. I cut the abs wire to check the voltage and it was getting a signal from the unit. Had 13.5V, or something like that. I spliced it back in and had to drive it about a mile, shut it off and restart. It took about another mile and the codes cleared.

Putting in the new hub was more involved than I expected it would be. Had to take out a couple long bolts, a curved connector piece and some other bolts. Lower shock bolt had to come out. Brake caliper had to come off, etc.

From what I could tell, the bearings in the old hub were fine, but there is no way to just replace the magnetic reluctor ring. There is only 50,000 miles on the car. Hope the other hubs don't have the same issue on the horizon.