LaCrosse Buick's new mid-sized luxury sedan

Maintenance before 1,600 mile road trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 06:26 PM
Default Maintenance before 1,600 mile road trip

I've got a 2005 LaCrosse that is beat, but the body is straight and engine/trans happy thus far... It's got 185K and no ABS (which is weird for a 2005) model anything. Maintenance has been basic the last year I've owned it, replaced majority of left front suspension (Knuckle, Axel, wheel bearing, lower control arm, tie rod end links, sway bar end links all shot when I took ownership).. before this road trip I am considering replacing the fuel pump, I haven't had any issues, but have had to GM vehicles have fuel pumps fail at 200K. Any suggestions on additional maintenance before the trip? Thanks!

Old 05-25-2020, 07:39 PM

Smart move to replace the fuel pump and filter. What about the other things like plugs, oil & filter, brake pads tires and battery ? Depending on where you are going , like hot weather, water pump, belt cooling system ? Trans ever serviced ?

You know how the old story goes, "If you are prepared for it ,it rarely happens" , but just ignore it and murphy moves in,,, murphys law lol. If it can happen , it will !

Old 05-25-2020, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Smart move to replace the fuel pump and filter. What about the other things like plugs, oil & filter, brake pads tires and battery ? Depending on where you are going , like hot weather, water pump, belt cooling system ? Trans ever serviced ?

You know how the old story goes, "If you are prepared for it ,it rarely happens" , but just ignore it and murphy moves in,,, murphys law lol. If it can happen , it will !
Thanks for the reply! Oil & filter new, new water pump, break pads and rotors are new, new battery, all done by myself.. I'm not sure if the trans has ever been serviced, however the fluid is light red, doesn't smell burnt, and is at the full mark..so that's encouraging.. plugs and wires may be original, however the car runs excellently (mostly thanks to the 3800 really).. the tires are in acceptable condition but the car did sit for over a year so they have some flat spots you can feel at low speeds..