LaCrosse Buick's new mid-sized luxury sedan

Lacrosse Electrical Problem

Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Default Lacrosse Electrical Problem

I am very new to this forum but need help desperately. I own a 2007 Buick Lacrosse and have had no trouble with it for over 4 years now until yesterday. Yesterday I sat down in it and when I turned the key over to start it the horn beeped quickly, the windshield wipers went halfway up and the car just made a ticking noise when it turned over. At first I thought it was just a battery problem because it has been really cold here so I put the battery charger on it with the intent of going to get a new battery. Well, that didn't correct anything. For a little back ground, a month or so ago I had some issues with the accelerator pedal position sensor causing a check engine light and reduced engine power. It was intermittent and I purchased a new sensor with the intent of changing it when the weather warmed back up. The car has the 3800 series V6 in it. Oh and also, I noticed after the problem mentioned above when trying to start the car, when I went to close the hood I could hear a sort of shorting out sound when the metal of the hood would make contact with the metal of the car. Is it possible for the cold to cause a short? The car started fine the day before and then the next day all of this just went haywire. Aside from the sensor issue I haven't noticed any other problem. Has anyone encountered anything like this?

Old 01-06-2018, 04:09 AM

Know it's freezing out especially up here in ME. But does sound like a battery or cable connection; I'd check all those but also battery can be bad and not accept a charge even. Seem to be OK one day, not the next and if discharged enough can actually freeze and split case open.

If you can check batt. volts with and without charger on, you'll see a difference. If battery reads even 12-13.5 volts after charge you could probably eliminate battery as culprit. This works for me and have checked thousands of different batteries over the years, maintained fire and life safety systems for gov. All the same for retaining proper voltages Nicads, Alcad, gel cells, lead acid and on.

The 24VDC starting systems for the diesel emergency generators would even explode time to time if low on hydrochloric acid, internal spark and kaboom. Wasn't my responsibility but have witnessed.

Last edited by Rich B.; 01-06-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:44 PM

I appreciate the response. It turned out to be the battery. Today warmed up enough for me to get out and pull the battery off and take it to the local auto parts store to have it tested. It was dead. I honestly have never had anything like this happen (windshield wiper, horn ...) when a battery dies but I guess weird things happen in the cold.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:55 AM

your welcome JL1. Not lately but decades back recall that same trouble due to battery. Like also to read on actual problem found and fix.