General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

wiring trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:03 PM
Default wiring trouble

I just purchased my first buick, a 1966 special 2door hardtop, my headlights,taillights, and turning signals just won't work. I've checked through both harnesses and they are all good connections. the battery is reading in at 11.9v, the turning lights on the dash will flash but the lights in front and back are dead in the water, all the clubs are good and I've use a good amount of dielectric grease ensure a good connection, i cannot wrap my head around this problem, if anyone has an idea or solution that could help it would be much appreciated

Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 AM

Maybe bad firewall harness through connection. "Can" relays for flashers and turn signal (bad bulbs too can nill those). Other relays can be reason for main lighting circuits and headlights not operating, mice problems as they love insulation or lastly reason it was for sale to start with

Too, wiring schematic is priceless and most relays of that era can remove covers and check first vs just replacing. Have tabs that can be easily straightened and remove cover. If one cannot use ingenuity with old cars, may have hard time with any restoration. Not any electronics to speak of in those days aside from transistorized ignition.

Last edited by Rich B.; 08-09-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:29 AM

I don't know how much help we can be , but
first battery voltage is too low
You can overdoo the dielectric grease
What about the fuses , did you check them ?
What kind of test equip do you have to work with, since you state battery voltage , you have voltmeter?
Better to take problems one at a time, also as Rich stated , any indications of rodents having been at work?
A voltmeter is nice, but a test lite is easier to work with checking for power and grounds.
What kind of condition are the battery cables and connections at the battery?
I believe the lights and some other features (fuse panel) are fed power from the positive post on the starter , can you confirm this?