General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Need Help with Wiper Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Default Need Help with Wiper Issue

OK all you Buick fans, I need some input from some of the oldtimers OR some youngtimers with old Buicks. My issue is actually with a '52 Cadillac but the the Buick is most likely the same in this area.

My wiper burrs (the serrated potmetal pieces on the shafts that poke through right below the windshield) are the removable kind (press fit) but are worn out. I would like to replace both with some new pieces or some very good used ones. I was able to work the old ones off with a pair of channel locks. Any ideas on where to go to get these? I have tried some salvage yards, all the Advance type stores, Rock Auto, etc. with no luck.

Since this is a consumable type part (like an oil filter), I am thinking there must be some out there somewhere. Some of the cars of this era used a staking process or rivets to hold them on. I believe those would not do me any good. I am also thinking that the Buicks used the press fit...does anyone know?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick

Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. I think I recognize your name from GM Forum. I'm 2k2cse there.

As for your problem.. I doubt any stores like Auto Zone would carry something like that, so you're basically stuck with salvage yards, or Ebay. Have you tried sites like www.yearone.com and http://www.lmctruck.com maybe the GM trucks of the same era have the same setup.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 PM

I believe the parts you are looking for are called wiper transmission links.
The serrated buttons/ ***** are pretty much standard. What you may be able to do is, take your wiper transmission assy out and you will probably be able to go to a local dealership and find another transmission and link assy that will have the same pivot portion. You may even find something very close to what you have in your hand. Take the part (s) you want/need and assemble a transmission assy that will be as good as new. Something to keep in mind and that is the other wiper arm pivot is probably on its way out also.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Default Wiper Burr

Thanks Hanky...Yes, the burr is part of the wiper transmission. The links are under the dash and the burr is on the outside. I found the picture below that shows the assy for Chev, Pontiac and Olds (the "A" bodies). On the Caddys and I think the Buicks, the burr was a commonly replaced item since they could wear out or because someone put the wiper arms on without lining up the serrations and eventually they stripped. All the wiper related parts on my car are good except for these little burrs. Somebody has a drawer full of these things, I just need to find out who it is!!!!

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com.../49fbsm067.htm

Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM

I have never replaced just the serrated ****, but I don't believe it would be too difficult to just change it. I never heard of them being available separately.
If that is the case , we learn something new every day.