General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

is my harmonic balancer bad?(99 Century)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 04:40 PM
Default is my harmonic balancer bad?(99 Century)

Hey guys, so I have a 99 Buick Century and have two questions.

Recently check engine light come on, plugged my OBD II and it said it was the crankshaft position sensor.

I first like to understand how there is 2 crankshaft position sensor on this car... one is plugged into the back of the block and other one seems like just some kinda harness that attaches to the front of crank pulley. I replaced both anyways just so I can get the code away.

Now the code is off.. but my car vibrates like crazy, just going past 25mph it gets scary so I had to park the car right back.

To get one of the sensor off, I pulled the harmonic balancer off since it was necessary.. I used proper tool for both removal and installation, I don't think I stripped the crank threads, at least not that I see or feel.

I have two, maybe three questions... here is some pic of the balancer I pulled off.
Before this job, the car had the engine code but no vibration, so I don't think the balancer is physically bad but what do you guys think? do I need a new one? It does look old but the rubber seems to be intact, no sign of crack yet.

Second question is - after reinstallation of the balancer, I feel like I might have pinched one of the crank position sensor thing? the blue wiring thing that attaches to the front.. please see pic. Is this damage acceptable? does this mean that I have overtightened the balancer reinstall? so far the car doesn't pull a code so I'm hoping I don't have to buy another sensor as it was kinda expensive..

Thirdly I found some RTV-like materials inside the inner bore and the notch thing.. so I am about to clean those off very nicely and try the reinstallation again.. but could that have caused bad install to a point that it vibrates?.. how do I know when the balancer is fully seated? in idle when I watch the engine visually, I don't see it rattling much(if anything my tensioner seems more moving than the balancer). I manually tightened the center screw after installation tool doesn't let me turn the wrench anymore.. and to finish I just use impact gun to torque it because I just couldn't find way to stop the motor from turning as I torque - my impact is rated at 200lb so I know it's somewhat perfect.

What are your thoughts guys?
Balancer is expensive locally and if I need a new one.. I'll order online but it'll take like a week and just doesn't make sense that this problem wasn't around before I did this job.. I spent the past three whole days figuring out what I did wrong or what's wrong with the car.. it's been a nightmare!! (it was nice learning how to use those special tools.. but)

Thanks for the help guys.. it's my first post here.

Mario

****Sorry moderator I posted this on the wrong section earlier so I am re-posting this again where I feel is more appropriate

Old 08-10-2020, 06:18 PM

On the pix of the crankshaft end, what is that silver/white part on the bottom of the sensor ?

Old 08-10-2020, 06:26 PM

Hanky, looks like the plastic housing was pressed against something.. or it looks like a pinched damage.

I don't believe that is causing my vibration problem though.. I heard they are just electrical harness underneath... I hope to god I'm right because that was a brand new sensor..

Old 08-11-2020, 08:37 AM

Hi Mario,
The relationship between the crank shaft pulley and sensor is critical..

The signals the ign module receives from the crank sensor determines a lot.

The crank pulleys are not all the same. Be very careful with anything you order on line.
I realize some parts there may be cheaper, but if they are not the exact spec , you have to go through a lot of trouble to get the correct one.
Because of the work involved with this, I would recommend staying with OEM from a local dealership parts dept. There you can compare and if any problem it can be corrected much more easily.. Many times when you deal locally they will require the VIN to assure the correct part the first time and hopefully not made "Outside the country".

Also you can get addl info from them while there , if needed..

Old 08-12-2020, 12:19 AM

Thanks Hanky.

I read lots of review about the fitment and many seemed happy with the fit, so crossing fingers, it is from Amazon afterall..
it will arrive in a week and I will post updates for those who might run into similar problem in the future.

As for the sensors, I do understand the importance of them - any thoughts on why this model has two of them though? (one on side of block, one right by balancer).