General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1995 Buick Park Avenue doesn't want to shift out of park/move after. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 05:07 PM
Default 1995 Buick Park Avenue doesn't want to shift out of park/move after. Suggestions?

so I recently picked up a Buick Park Avenue 1995. Everything about the car was mint, except for 1 qwerk; the CV shaft on the driver side of the car wasn't good , we where told. So, we had a re-manned CV shaft sent out, and we installed it. However, my issue still persists.

My car doesn't want to shift from Park to drive, or reverse. Or, it feels like "the gear isn't catching", as I won't move anywhere until I do my "trick". So, what I would have to do to get my car rolling, is you start the car as normal, shift into neutral, and then slowly Rock the car back and forth, either tell you hear a "click", or you get it rolling enough to start moving. Then if you're quick enough, you can quickly shift into reverse or any of the drive gears. However, once you make it into either drive or reverse, you will have to start the car back neutral and then rock it again to switch gears, unless you were to quickly shift and put stress on the transmission.

anyways, I'm not exactly the mechanic type, and I've heard great things about these dedicated forums, so I figured I'd put the question out there. If anyone has any possible suggestions as to what would be causing that issue, any sort of advice or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

pictures so you know what car you're dealing with.

Old 10-08-2022, 12:10 PM

One of the things that changes every time you move the shift lever is the position switch mounted on the top or side of the trans. It sends a signal to the internal solenoids and if that signal is absent or incorrect , you could get the result you are seeing.

You did verify the fluid level is correct , if not ,always the first starting point.