General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1983 prk ave actuator vales

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Default 1983 prk ave actuator vales

Hi Everyone : I'm new to the site hope everyone is doing well !! I have a question what must I remove to get at my actuator vales? I want to check them. Im have electronic climate control no vacum. I don't know if all aren't closeing or just 1/2 but my light on control panel blinks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and all have a great wk !!!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 PM

Just from what you have said, I suspect you might have a broken vacuum hose somewhere. Check from the engine back to the hose going into the inside of the car.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Default actuator vales

Thanks Hanky but like I posted I don't have vacum I have electronic climate control. Thanks for the help !!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:27 PM

Most climate control systems even those that are controlled electronically use vacuum servos to open, close , modulate the various doors in order to obtain the desired result.
I have never heard of the term vales as used here. What do you mean by vales?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Default AC accumulator...???

or as Haynes describes Buick's thru 2004 Heating:
The heating system consists of a blower fan & heater core located in the heater box, the hoses connecting to the heater core to the engine cooling sys. & the HVAC control head on the dashboard. Hot engine coolant is circulates thru the heater core. When the heater mode is activated, a trap door opens to expose the heater box to the passenger compartment. A fan switch on the control head activates the blower motor...which forecs air thru the core, heating the air....

Generic enough.... my 1989 'sword' has a combo vacuum & lever 'climate control'. w/225,000 miles a few months ago...the wife mentioned she couldn't get the AC to blow... Not good running running in the burbs & onto GrandMaaaa's via interstate during the summer...

To shorten the story...the EGR was plugged or failed due to carbon build-up...what the hell...after 1/4 Million miles...who would think of that....

The exhaust area around the EGR was so hot...it melted the hard plastic vacuum line.....NO AC....

I forget...what's your 'factory' repair manual advise ...?
Can you call the local dealer service dept. to get any advice...sometimes they are actually helpful...even the parts dept....not that I call upon them very often...my local 'bone-yard' usually meets most of my needs for the older vintage rides...

Hope this is helpful...

P.S. Anyone have a source for the 'factory' repair manuals ....??? The Haynes & Chilton's are very weak on description & procedures....when the cover so many mgf's years...ie Buick Regal (1988 thru 2004) holy cow bell.... I want more specific trouble shooting & procedures...my local library...pretty large for Saint Louis, Mo. county ....has AllData...but only ON-Site...their other database is available on-site or off-line but may only have the TSB's...some wire diagrams & very little procedures...

The DIY'er...shade tree mechanic can't get GOOD decent info. anywhere that amount to a hill of beans... These forums are helpful...better that always running to a mechanic or the dealers to pay them for simple repairs...

Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 AM

From what I think I see in your pix, that plastic tube goes to a source of vacuum and has a check valve in it. Is my observation correct?
Have you done anything to correct that crimped vacuum line?
Does the line go to the inside of the vehicle?
If it does, then no vacuum= no controls.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Default Actuator doors/valves

I'm sorry guys but I have the 2 shop manuels they refer to actuator doors or actuator valves. I have no vacum lines there are 2or 3 models that do use vacum, it is all electronic. Do not use egr valve. The B C series do not use a maniflod heater vale also. If I remove the heater duct work can I get at them, also does anyone know where I could get actuators and a control panel for they are not interchangeable you must put a new one in as per shop manuels. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!!! Have a great wk !!!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:00 PM

Many times we can get parts for older cars.
That said, please provide the following info,
year, make, model ,exact as possible, part description, and any other related info you think will be helpful and at least you'll have one more person trying to locate your parts.
And if successful you will certainly hear from me.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Default Hi 'hanky'...

Originally Posted by hanky
From what I think I see in your pix, that plastic tube goes to a source of vacuum and has a check valve in it. Is my observation correct?
Have you done anything to correct that crimped vacuum line?
Does the line go to the inside of the vehicle?
If it does, then no vacuum= no controls.

Yes, I did replace it w/one from the bone-yard...
There is a smaller vacuum line that travels across the back engine wall toward the passenger side...then enters the interior....This immediately fixed my No AC issue.

Of course the melted heavy plastic tube alerted me to the heat problem around the EGR valve to inspect the area & correct the issues....

Thanks again for your help & suggestions 'hanky'....appreciated...

Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 AM

Thanks hanky: Here is info the actuator doors/valves according to the manual should be 5 plus I'm looking at replaceing the climate control head which is touch control with three plugs in back 6,8,22 these are not interchangeable must be replaced new. The vehical is a 1983 buick prk ave 5.0 307 loaded except no clock ( don't ask why ). Has air suspension. The doors are loc. again as per manual 1 under glove box the rest are center left ( sitting in the car ). the doors are aprprox.2/2/2/2 with elec. contacts. Hope this helps thanks for all the help appreciate it, you have a great wk !!

Quick Reply: 1983 prk ave actuator vales