General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1968 Buick Skylark Custom front drum brakes hard to install

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 09:14 AM
Default 1968 Buick Skylark Custom front drum brakes hard to install

I replaced all brake parts in the system about 8 years ago when the brake fluid was found to be contaminated with water. It braked like new and after a long period of very light use I took it out so my new stepson could start to commute to college with it. The car was very hard to stop so I took the brakes apart to see what might be wrong. I'm in the process of replacing wheel cylinders and everything worked fine on the rear wheels. The fronts however are a different story. I don't remember them being this hard to install. The bracket that the springs and actuator lever attaches to floats on the anchor pin which is different on the rear wheels. So, if I install the rear shoe, that bracket swings up on frontward and there is too much distance to attach its spring. If I install the front shoe first, the bracket swings up rearward too far to attach the spring and actuator level. There must be some method or assembly sequence to overcome this. Does anyone have any experience with this to help me get this thing together? I can't remember when I did the original installation if that bracket swung freely on it's anchor pin and am wondering if that is normal.