Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

driver side door handle break

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:25 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Hey Guys,

During Oklahoma's recent ice barrage, I broke my wife's car's door handle. It's still in the door and functions physically, but I think the connection between the door handle and the opening mechanism is broken. I know I probably have to get the door panel off, but how do I go about doing that? I assume it's the same old GM clips that can be impossible to "pop off"? Any special tools or hidden screws under little covers that I need to know about? It's a 99 Park Avenue, the driver's side. Also, can it be fixed with JB Weld or some other fixant or should I head to the junk yard and replace the entire mechanism? What about AutoZone/O'Reilly's for parts? Thanks much.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-42";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-17-2007, 10:37 AM

That happened on mine too. I got a replacement from a junk yard (whole handle). I don't think it's worth trying to fix it. But I was having some other work done and I just had them do the replacement, so I can't tell you the details. I do know that the inside panel mostly hangs on plastic clips, so you need to lift it up rather than prying it straight out. That's how people break the fasteners.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by MrBSS
&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>That happened on mine too. I got a replacement from a junk yard (whole handle). I don't think it's worth trying to fix it. But I was having some other work done and I just had them do the replacement, so I can't tell you the details. I do know that the inside panel mostly hangs on plastic clips, so you need to lift it up rather than prying it straight out. That's how people break the fasteners. &lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-42"; urchinTracker(); </>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-42";
urchinTracker();
</>

THANKS ALOT. I GOT THE DOOR HANDLE OFF AND THE CURVED PIECE THAT PUSHES DOWN THE DOOR RELEASE HANDLE IS BROKEN...NO FIXABLE. SO I START CALLING THE PARTS STORE IN THE MORNING AND MIGHT GIVE THE DEALER A SHOT. THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE.