Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

97' Park Ave missing under load

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 11:00 AM
Default 97' Park Ave missing under load

I have a 97 Park Ave with about 210K miles, It has been running well up until now. Recently while going up an incline (slight load) and in O/D the engine will develop a misfire. This problem occurred a few years back and I had a check engine light came on, after checking the code I found one of the coil packs had failed. I replaced all (3) of them and it had been running well up until now. The problem seems to be the same but I am not getting any check engine lights. I replaced the coil packs with the Dorman Coils. I am wondering if they are the problem. Plugs seem fine, I am using Iridium (NGK) plugs with about 44k miles on them. Plug wires were changed at the same time as the plugs. Any help or further troubleshooting I could do would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Steve

Old 12-28-2020, 12:05 PM

Hi Steve,
What you might consider,
Have your vehicle checked for any pending codes. Post them here.
It does sound like another coil may be breaking down under load.
If you get a P0300 , that usually includes all cyls, where as if you get a P030X that should at least let you know which cyl is having a problem. Once you know that you can switch the coils and see if the code switches cyls. If it does , that is the questionable coil.
If it doesn't change ,go after the plug or wire for that cyl.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:22 PM

Hanky,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have checked for codes and didn't find any (so far). I will check it again this week when time permits. I am begining to suspect the coil packs. I can check the resistance on them and see if I get one that is suspect. The symptoms that it is showing were the same as the last time when it failed, but last time it set a code and told me which pack it was. This time not so lucky. Wonder if anyone has used the Dorman brand of coil packs, I have used some of their replacement parts in the past and have had some issues with them. I will keep you posted on my findings.
Thanks again,
Steve

Old 12-28-2020, 04:36 PM

For what it is worth,
Not all aftermarket parts are problematic, but some can be..
When possible , which isn't always so, we try to stick with OEM parts. Avoids a lot of extra work.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:31 AM

Finally got some time to work on the Park Ave again and think I have solved the missing issue. I decided if I am going to pull the plugs and check them out I might as well change them. I removed the #6 cylinder plug and found it to be finger tight, the plug itself didn't look too bad but had some soot buildup around the threads. I can only assume that it was loosing its ground once it heated up and led to the misfire. I installed some NGK platinum plugs and took it for a test ride and tried to get it to miss while under a load, so far so good. I will be interested to see how it impacts my MPG. My mileage seems to have dropped during this issue. Hope this helps someone who may experience a similiar problem. When all else fails go back to the basics.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:50 AM
Default Park ave plugs

Thought I would add some pics of the plugs for reference

Old 03-14-2021, 10:49 AM

Fuel injected vehicles don't require premium fuel unless specified by the manufacturer.
Every so often , a tank full of premium will help clean out accumulated carbon in the cyls and on the injectors.