Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

2001 Park Avenue doors won’t unlock

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 02:36 AM
Default 2001 Park Avenue doors won’t unlock

I own a 2001 Park Avenue that has had some strange door lock problems. Since I bought it about ten years ago, when I get out and try to lock it with the remote, it will lock and unlock, lock and unlock a random number of times and always ends up unlocked. At seemingly random times it will do this lock and unlock without any input, just spontaneously. Later, a rear door locked and will not unlock with the remote or manually. Later, the other rear door did the same thing and then the front passenger door. I could not unlock these doors by any means. The driver's door seems immune so far, maybe because it has a key lock mechanism. I removed the door panel on the passenger side and manipulated the mechanism at the lock and got it to unlock once, then I locked it and haven;t been able to unlock it again. Because of the structure of the metal door, I can't see the mechanism at the lock and the 2100 page 2001 Park Avenue Service Manual doesn't have a clear diagram of it nor the Haynes or other parts store manuals.

Is anyone familiar with this type of problem or have a good diagram of the front and rear door locking mechanisms?

Old 12-02-2020, 07:19 PM

You may not have the chassis manual which can be a separate manual from the powertrain manual.and that may be why you can't find the info you want.
You might try "Helm Inc" . They sold shop manual sets and may have one available. They're not cheap, but can save you a lot of problems.

I will attempt to locate some of the manuals I have and see if I can find something that will help you. Patience please, thanks.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:31 PM
Default 2001 Park Avenue doors won’t unlock Reply to Thread

Thanks for your reply.
I have the factory Service Manual (2 large volumes) that includes the engine, transmission, driveline, body, accessories, extensive electrical schematics, etc.,2175 pages, but the section on door locks deals with changing out components like linkage and lock cylinders and not the mechanical functioning of them. The diagrams show locations of components but not details of the mechanisms or how they work.

I would appreciate it if you have something more, but the service departments concentrate on replacing components rather than repairing them, so there may not be any more detailed info from Buick. Is there a separate chassis manual that would have more than the big factory service manuals I have? I'll look at Helm Inc.