Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

1985 Park Avenue - is there a hose missing herere

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 11:03 PM

I can find the leveling control relay and pull it. Yesterday the battery was fully charged with an actual charger. The car still did not start. The same thing as always....the engine cranking over but not starting. So a fully charged battery does not start the car. Once I get it to start then I can work on the reasons why the battery drains; that makes sense, right?....or No.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:26 AM

Maybe, but does starter turn motor over fast or slow and mediocre? Probably wouldn’t notice if slow or fast; agree it’s not battery. Could imagine shocks were replaced at one time with conventional type and pulled out air lines; unless your original owner?

Please keep us informed; enough viewers on this forum, surprised a few more haven’t had some ideas. X-hubby didn’t switch plug wires around lol or pull coil wire? In ‘85 most cars still used distributors but points and condenser thing of past by then also......

Too, continuous battery drain is another issue if it goes completely dead. Multi-problems a bit more complicated. You could cycle ignition key and digits would blip on cluster, count the dots and dashes and look up what that number(s) represented in factory manual or else. Each code cited different issue, worked pretty good. Not saying you should do this but the way in 1985, today all OBDII’s work very much the same.

Last edited by Rich B.; 08-30-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:20 AM

I believe we are making some progress.

If I understand correctly,
The engine now cranks over , but refuses to fire up or start running correct?

This engine does have a carburetor and is not fuel injected , correct?
If you remove the air cleaner from the top of the carburetor you should see a choke blade setting in the closed position.
With a flashlite, looking down into the carb and sticking something to hold the choke blade in the vertical/open position, work the accelerator linkage as if someone were stepping on the accelerator pedal and look in to the carb ,do you see any fuel squirting into the throat of the carb? You should see 2 streams of fuel squirting each time you work the throttle linkage. If you do see fuel squirting ,there is a good possibility the engine is flooded with fuel and therefore will not fire up.
If you don't see fuel squirting in, there is either no fuel in the tank, or the fuel pump is defective.
Also if you do see the squirting in of fuel, look way down into the engine , with the choke blade held open and the throttle linkage fully open and if you see a puddle of fuel sitting in the bottom, that confirms it is flooded. Let's see what we have so far and Rich, again, I know you know this correct as you see fit. .

If we can get this much done it will tell us we either have fuel available or not.

If the engine is fuel injected none of the above applies, then we can go from there.

Last edited by hanky; 08-30-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:02 AM

And as the ‘85 Park Ave. is silhouetted against the sunrise being towed off, never to be ever seen again $......