Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

03 Park Ave - Wet Driver's Side Floor/Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 01:37 AM
Default 03 Park Ave - Wet Driver's Side Floor/Carpet

Just bought a beautiful '03 Park Avenue with 70 miles. Salesman said it was in pristine condition (which it is) and that it had nothing wrong with it (which I stupidly believed). Today, I drove it home and discovered - under the new free floor mats that the Toyota dealer gave me - that the driver's side front floor carpet has a big wet patch. It's got a sunroof, but the headliner is dry. The rest of the floor area (passenger side front carpet and rear carpets) is also dry. Internet tells me it could be:
- Leaking or clogged AC
- Faulty door or windshield seal
- Heater core?
Or could it be just a clogged sunroof drain?

Unfortunately, I live in a condo, so my ability to disassemble my car or run a hose to test for water leaks is limited. I also don't have indoor parking, so I'd like to get this resolved fairly quickly before the bottom of the car rusts out.

Should I just take it to a local mechanic to resolve? Or would it be faster and cheaper to get a GM dealer to handle? Quite bummed at the moment and regretting my mid-life purchase ...

Old 03-02-2020, 03:07 PM

A lot depends on the local mechanic. How well do you know him and how good is his work? Some "guys" will do a shoemaker job and some will be careful with your special vehicle.. It would be a shame to have it messed up if that is the only thing wrong with it.
Usually the heater core will leak down on the passenger side of the floor and the same with the A/C drain.I would suspect the windshield.
To prevent any further damage and with your limitations, property wise, I guess the final decision would be determined by the size of your wallet.
Good lick with your new Baby !

Old 03-04-2020, 12:02 AM

Thanks for the moral support & good advice - really cheered me up!