Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

’96 Ultra making strange engine noises

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:05 PM

Glad to see that you're getting things going!

Your low fluid light is probably a gunked-up sensor, but in many of the vehicles I've driven they seem to go off when there's still quite a lot of fluid left.

I still think your noise is probably looseness in the CV joint. You or your mechanic can easily look at the boot around the joint to see if it is torn. If so, water and dirt get in and can cause rapid wear. Of course, they can wear out even if the boot is intact, but that is much less common.

The oil drain isn't much different than your Olds, except that the engine sits sidewise. I don't really know what you could break in taking out the drain plug and unscrewing the filter. However, I will admit that jacking it could be hazardous and the lift points are more critical than on older cars. If you do that, you need to find some good advice and/or help.

Edited by: MrBSS

Old 07-14-2007, 10:52 AM

I'm back with a few new strange problems. Since I'm not much of a mechanic I thought I'd share these interesting events with you motor heads[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] in case you've experienced something similar.

As I stated before, the check egine light and weird engine noises turned out to be a bad MAF sensor. It was replaced and all was good until last month (June.) I was driving home from Knoxville cruising down I-40 with the auto air on and BAM! The check engine light came on and the air shut off. The button showing that the air was on was still lit up and the auto temp was still set at 72. I pulled over, parked the car for about 10 mins anduponstarting up the engineeverything was fine and I made my trip home. This exact thing happened again last Sunday while I was out with my mother. After parking the car for a few mins all was well again for the rest of the day. No lights, no problems.

The next eventhas me a bit baffled and I have no idea if they are related or not. As I was driving in town my check engine light flashed on and the traction control off light then the engine got stuck at 1800 RPM's. I pulled it out of gear at a stop light, dropped it out of overdrive down into 3rd, then 2nd then 1stbit it was still stuck. I rode my breaks about 2 more miles and parked my car at my folks house. I haven'tstarted the carsince then (I'm in Indiana for the weekend) and I'm scheduled to have my mechanic look atthe car 1st thing Monday morning. What the heck could be going on with my baby? Does it sound like these problems are related or is it most likely seperate sensors going out possibly something wrongthe a/c? Is this acommon problem? Thank you for your time reading this and any replies. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]