Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

When was the last time you changed the cabin air filter?

Old 11-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default When was the last time you changed the cabin air filter?

Waited till the snow melted and went for it after finding someone who had one in stock. I already changed the engine one but would be a good time to do that as well if you didn't. The blower fan can be seen when filter is removed. Take care not to drop any of the crap just sitting idle on top the junk filter. I can edit this later if anyone needs a walk through. Not that hard just 2 pop its and a flat head needed for the big round disc. Turn the wipers on then shut the car off when they stick straight up. gently pry the washer lines out the tabs and pull the cowl towards driver side. Remember the cowl lays down on top of the drivers side one not under(someone was looking out for us on that one) Watch the airflow arrows cause it will not work upside down, for long. Remember where the little black diverter piece that rest against the bottom goes. there is a small recess in the body where the tab just lays. Should have took a pic of that and will in a few days.

This is the service video showing you how it comes out. They do not show you the 2 pop its and 1 flat head screw washer nut removal nor to get to that step of the video. I also suggest removing that hard plastic washer line since these aren't exactly brand new cars as it was in that video. Trust me when I say there isn't a century regal nor impala with them still in tact in the J yard. Also ignore that illistration, it will only confise you and make you attempt to jam the filter well over 60 degrees against how it needs to be. look at the filter before you yank it then remember how it came out as you pull.

SKIP TO 5:53 in the video for this brief example! Trust me if I had software and know how to edit I would cut this video up and re upload them.

As usual hi res pics below.

New one in after spending 6 minutes figuring out how to fold/bend it back in there. Still have the engine cover on to verify it doesn't rattle.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/ad5428bf.jpg

Old filter looking like who knows if the previous owner knew it existed.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/3f790a2e.jpg

Front side up close
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/5217f6ee.jpg

Back side up close
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/134bb9ad.jpg

*1st edit*
Red arrow
kinda shows the black divertor piece tab just lays against the body. When inside you can see the bottom of the area that the tabs slide inside the wall where the filter is. I will get another pic eventually with it out.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/128e4d15.jpg

*2nd edit* video attached 5:53 is the time and remember he skipped the pop its and nut as well as wiper position.

Last edited by Merc6; 11-12-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I have yet to change mine. I've thought about it a couple times, but quickly forgot about it. How much did the filter cost? I may change mine soon.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Like $16USD because I didn't find it in Wal-Mart. I'm glad it was one in there cause my 05 Subaru had the tray for it but it was optional for the workers to put a filter in the car on the assembly line at that time. If you want to see a nightmare filter change, imaging removing the center console the passenger side of the radio and all the dash on passenger side after taking the glove box apart to get to it.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...T/21c92b4b.jpg

Old 11-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Piece of advice, you feel like you need to cram it into that area when it all actuality you just want to fold the filter up so it sits on top then fall down in there. The plastic reinforcements will fight you when you try the jam it in there method. OEM has a loop the ones I seen don't granted denso might have it since it was "Factory Direct Fit" but never in stock. I'm gonna add that service video from the airflow thread and mark the time to skip to for his "Already unscrewed and prepped for easy removal" removal. Watching the video you assume you don't need tools and that's a complete lie unless you want water damage.

Last edited by Merc6; 11-12-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I will probably pick up one some time next week. I'm almost certain that it has the original in it. I don't think the previous owner took very good care of the car

Wow, the Subie looks like quite the challenge. Things like that make me glad that these cars are fairly simple to work on, for the most part.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

Just for the hell of it call the dealer and see how much they charge for the filter change service. The subaru is like in the $80's after tax but the filter online is about the same price as the one I got for the buick. Even if you buy the A/C deodorizor for the coil it still wouldn't get you into the price of labor.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I have to put my car in the shop to get a wheel bearing changed sometime this week, so I might ask them how much they would charge when I make the appointment tomorrow.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

I got a small vibration around 70ish mph but when I jacked the wheels up they have no play whatsoever. It was horible when the sway snapped but now it's barely there. hope it's just the aloys needing to be rebalanced. It shouldn't be in the $80's maybe $45-$60 ish for the filter.