What Conditioners / Cleaners You Use: Engine & Fuel - Buick Forum - Buick Enthusiasts Forums

Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

View Poll Results: Do you use an Oil or Gas Additive Product
None 0 0%
Oil only 0 0%
Gas Only 0 0%
Both Oil and Gas 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2018, 09:50 PM

Question What Conditioners / Cleaners You Use: Engine & Fuel

I know that in many forums it is common to find extensive discussions on the subject of Oil & Fuel Additives. I can expect that a discussion on this subject will contain opinions that fall in a areas.

1. Follow Specs: Those that say to simply change the oil and filters on schedule and provide all fluids according to the specifications of the vehicle.
2. Stay away from Additives: Risk of Sludge and Clogging if any additives are used so don't add any additives
3. Testimony for a fluid product used: Cleaning Carbon: Sea Foam, Kano Products Kreen, and other products
4. After market equipment : PCV Oil Catch, Dual oil Filter Systems, Stainless Steel Reusable Filters,
5. Testimonial Use of Synthetic Oils and oils to use on high mileage engines.

Please contribute your opinion, experience, and general advice
Old 05-08-2018, 05:08 AM

Good topic. Use nothing specific these days with anything. Rainex is excellent for windshields, don't need wipers even in deluge. I question the distillate additive recommended for my other car if an engine ticking develops. Motor requires a 5/50WT oil and with 4 camshafts who can say? No problem with mine but the additive undermines the oil viscosity (it's a Boss 302).

Also aware of the oil temperature reduction by using STP with oil back in the old days. Guess that's a fact? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/STP_(motor_oil_company)

Last edited by Rich B.; 05-08-2018 at 05:17 AM.