Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 06:41 PM

Some weird problem with my low beam headlights. They work when they want to, not when I want them too. At night headlights will work a night or two as if all was normal. Then another night they will be on for five minutes and go out for a minute or two and come back on. Intermittently working. Some kind of short in the system, not sure where it is at. the Twilight sentry appears to be working ok, however I am not totally ruling it out. The high beams do not short out at all, only the low beam. The fuses on this machine, appear to be left side and right side, not low beam/high beam. Anyways I pulled them out and checked them and they appeared ok. Checked connection on lights, no problems there. They have been messed up for over six months so I don't remember all I troubleshot.

My Jerryrig solution is this. Leave the brights on all the time. Too bright you say. It would be except I switched the location of the high beams to the lowbeam part of the housing. The deflector on the lowbeam housing keeps them from blinding oncoming drivers. The twilight sentry still works, except now it turns the brights on. I also have a headlight indicator light on in my dash now. Everyone riding with me the first time says, your brights are on. I then tell them my story.
downside to this is that I have no true brights.

I am open to suggestions, but thought I would share what is up with them and what I did.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:33 AM

check all connections especially the ground wires.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:50 PM

Where are the ground connections you suggest I try?

Old 01-01-2006, 04:26 PM

first unplug the bulb connectors, check for corrosion then follow the wires, There should be a ground somewhere near the headlight assemblies.