Riviera The Buick that combined luxury with performance during its entire existance

1996 Riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuses

Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Default 1996 Riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuses

Hello all and thanks for allowing me to be a member here,

I have a 1996 Buick Riviera. It started blowing fuel pump fuses. I just bought the car about 3 months ago and it blew the 1st fuse after about 500 miles. Now its more like every few miles. Now it seems like when I press on the gas pedal it hesitates sometimes. I have popped 3 fuses in the last 5 days. If anyone knows what may be causing this I would really appreciate the info.. This has been driving me crazy..

Thanks

Edit: The motor is a supercharged 3.8, The body has 260,000 miles but engine was replaced 10,000 miles ago.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:45 AM

The reason the fuse blows is because the fuel pump circuit is drawing more current than it should. If you have a multimeter, place the setting on amps and connect the probes directly in place of the fuse.You may have to use some small pieces of wire to insert into the fuse slots and then connect the wires to the probe tips.
Once that's done , turn the key on and get a reading of how much the fuel pump circuit is pulling.
Disconnect the harness going to the fuel pump and compare the readings of connected and disconnected. If the difference is small, there is an intermittent short in the wiring. If the difference is large and approaching the rating of the fuse, either you have the wrong size fuse feeding the pump or the pump has an internal problem.
Make sure you are using the size fuse called for in the owner's manual. Generally it's a 20 amp fuse, but go by what the owner's manual indicates. Let us know what you find.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:40 PM

I havent really had time to test anything but here is a update. I had to go from Cincinnati to SW Indiana Drove ( 270 miles ) The 1st 230 miles I had no problem at all. Then it snapped a fuse in town in a parking lot as I was getting ready to leave, Replaced the fuse and I drove another 30 - 40 miles the fuse snapped at 55 MPH. I put a new fuse in, I replaced the fuel pump fuse but now when I turn the ket on it blows the fuse instantly. I dont think its the pump, The car drove great and it didnt hesitate, miss and had great power the whole time.

And ideas are appreciated. I think by this takes my mind that it isnt the pump and there is a short somewhere between the fuel pump and fuel pump fuse that is popping.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that yesterday before the car stopped responding to the fuel pump fuse I went to start the car and turned the key and went to start the engine it didnt crank. It was like I had a dead battery - the engine didnt crank, Not even click. But after about 3-4 minutes I did get it started So this may have something to do with it?? I remember seeing somewhere something about the Ignition or Ignition control module caused the fuel pump to pop the fuse. Here is the forum I seen that on. This would be great news if it is the ignition control module.

I have a feeling it may be the Ignition Control Module.. I read that the fuel pump and Ignition control module are on the same fuse - can anyone help verify this? I have been looking and cannot verify this yet. But fingers are crossed

http://www.gmforum.com/showthread.php?t=265412

Last edited by Trukindave; 01-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 PM

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 AM

I ruled out the fuel pump, I removed the access panel to the pump, removed the wiring harness to the pump and put a new fuse in. It blew the fuse the second I turned the key. So i know its not the pump.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 AM

Problem soved. It was a faulty fuel pump relay. Runs and started

Wanted to thank everyone for the help.. Car tested ran great, I tromped it, Idled it, drove it slow.. So far so good

Last edited by Trukindave; 01-04-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Actually same thing is happening. Car ran great for the last 8 days and its back to blowing fuel pump fuses. I removed the relay, It didnt pop the fuse. Put in a bigger fuse it started for 30 seconds and popped the fuse. Is there something that can cause a fuel pump relay to only last 8 days. I probably put 300 miles on it since I put the new relay in it.

Thanks all

Old 01-12-2012, 08:42 AM

Hello, here is a update: I pulled the relays out and the fuel pump fuse popped. So its now blowing with the relay removed. So the problem I think is between the the Ignition and fuel pump fuse.

yesterday when the car died it was idling when I got to N/S train yard. I parked it and left it running. I was inside the building no more than 20 minutes. When I got back to it I noticed it died. I tried to restart it. It didnt start. I rechecked the fuses. Found the pump fuse popped. I changed it. the new fuse popped upon turning the key. I placed another fuse. Car started for 30 seconds then that fuse popped.

Today I removed the relays and replaced the fuse and turn the key and it popped the fuses with the fuel pump relay out.

Any ideas I appreciate any help

Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Might have to check the wires there may be a cross short or something going on to pop that many fuses. Were you able to confirm what that guy had on that forum in 07? Wow that was a brand new car when it happened to him was there a recall for this?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 AM

I'm not positive about just how your vehicle wiring is set up, but I can help you isolate the place where it is causing the fuse to blow.
First there has to be a means to protect the circuit that activates the fuel pump relay.
Once the relay is energized there has to be (in this case a fuse) a means to protect the wiring and path of current to the fuel pump itself.
I don't remember GM putting any kind of access cover to do anything with the fuel pump other than having to drop the fuel tank itself, and I could be wrong there.
Some vehicles had a pigtail where you could energize the pump bypassing the relay altogether , without a wiring diagram not sure.
What you can do is get a hold of a fuse holder from any auto supply store and some primary wire as it is called , and run a wire with the fuse in series with the wire and feed the wire that goes to the fuel pump itself.You will need to follow the color coding of just which wire that is .You can determine that either by looking behind the panel where he fuse inserts or disconnecting the wires that go to the fuel pump at the tank.
If the original wiring to the tank unit is disconnected and you feed it current with your fused wire the pump should run. If it runs fine and the engine runs OK you have just eliminated the pump itself.
If you remove the relay one of the wires from the relay holder go to the pump . Feed that color wire with your fused wire , again if the pump runs ok you eliminated that wiring. Before going any further , did the fuse in your jumper wire blow or not?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuses